Question on easy Rigi hiking trail for seniors

• Grammy
    Participant
    14 posts
    30 June 2019 at 21:13:36 #822581

Thinking of walking from Rigi Kulm to the Alp Chaserenholz. As we are early 70’s and I have osteoporosis I don’t want to risk falling. Looking for a smoother, less grade, non gravel type trail and hoping the hike to the cheese maker is do able. Please advise also make other suggestions as to easier hikes on the way down Rigi. Please be specific as to which station to depart for the hike. We will be going up the red cogwheel from Vitznau and back down the blue to Arth Goldau. Many thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2019 at 0:02:14 #916588

Hi Grammy –

I’ve visited the Rigi quite a few times, but was not and still am not familiar with that Käserei. I searched on Mapsearch.ch by name (Alp Chaserenholz) . I also tried the correct spelling, Alp Chäserenholz. I like that map because it gives a clear symbol for the stations. Mouse over the icon for station names, too.

The return from both searches was the same and was was puzzling, suggesting that Alp Chäserenholz is a street name. Weird.

map.search.ch/Kennel,F ranz-Toni,Rigi-Kulm,Kulmweg-19?pos=679622,211728&z=25 6&poi=bergbahn,haltest elle,zug

However, once I clicked on “more details” I got this information:

<<” Landwirt – (which means farmer)

Kennel, Franz-Toni

Alp Chäserenholz

Kulmweg 19,

64190 Rigi Kulm, SZ

“>>

Nonetheless, the map gives a clear indication of a location and shows the trails. It is especially clear if you switch to the aerial view.

map.search.ch/Kennel,F ranz-Toni,Rigi-Kulm,Kulmweg-19?pos=679622,211728&z=25 6&poi=bergbahn,haltest elle,zug

The problem with that map, and also Google Maps, is that they don’t give altitude. This next highly detailed map does. It also helps understand the nature of the roads. Here are two zoom levels:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.im ages-swissimage-dop10.metadata,ch.swis stopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 79713.00&N=1211898.50& zoom=10

and

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=139 2,1538,1396,1430,1436& layers=ch.swisstopo.im ages-swissimage-dop10.metadata,ch.swis stopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,true&E=26 79713.00&N=1211898.50& zoom=9

It appears that the simplest way to get there…shown in detail on the topo maps, is to walk fairly steeply down hill from Rigi Kulm. Start at 1748 meters, and the location is at 1615 meters after 800 meters on the trail….if we have pinned it down correctly.

It seems that you could walk over from Staffel, for a lesser altitude change. There would still be a descent at the end. You’d go by way of Kulmhütte…look at the topo maps…zoom in and out.

Fiddling with the maps, both aerial and map view, I get the impression both routes are paved. In the aerial view, I turn off hiking trails, the yellow colors disappear, and the trails show visually as paved narrow roads…. I think.

The color coding of the trails ( yellow) does not identify the pavement. It means that special hiking gear is not needed (if you are Swiss, fit, and used to walking in the mountains). In your case, I would definitely not make such a walk without good ankle supporting boots, with grippy ( such as lugged) soles ,and at least one hiking staff. If the trail is gravel…and it may not be, but many are, they can be slippery on down hill stretches.

Afterwards, the options are not so clear. Maybe walk to Rigi Klosterli. Between the Käserei and the blue rails there is a substantial descent of about 300 meters if you do that. Otherwise, you can go back up some and over to Rigi Staffel, on a trail without so much altitude change. Fairly level as Swiss trails go. Staffel is where the two train lines separate. Or, you can go back up to Kulm. Fiddling with the maps, I get the impression that the route is paved.

Hope that helps.

Slowpoke

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

Grammy
    Participant
    14 posts
    1 July 2019 at 5:11:21 #916589

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your thoughtful and extensive reply. I will post later for others after we get there and take a look.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2019 at 10:14:55 #916590

Hi Grammy –

Some more confusing data.

I got out my paper topo maps and looked at the most recent (2016)edition for the Rigi quadrant.

All of the official ( Swiss Land Office; SwissTopo) ) maps follow a uniform convention for depicting roads. It is given on the back of the map, with examples.

To be paved, the map must show a double line. Look on the color map version of the topo map near Rigi Staffel. That shows a short stretch of double line, then a single line with no breaks. According to the map convention ( and my paper map) that single line should not be paved. So, we are left with the visual appearance on the aerial version at maximum magnification for the next best thing to a report from a local. It is clear that they are not dirt tracks. They may be gravel. I have looked at other trails near Kaltbad that I know that have a similar visual appearance and the same style of line drawn on a map. They are paved, even though they do not have a double line.

We meet part of your request. The stretch from Rigi Staffel eastward to Kulmhütte and Kulmweg is fairly level. The descent from Kulmhütte to Alpwirtschaft Chäsernholz is about 60 meters ( 1673 to about 1615 meters altitude) in about 300-350 meters straightline distance. The trail has one switchback. Very roughly, one meter down for every 5 meters of progress. A bit less because of the switchback. It is a moderate slope, but you will notice it. According to the contour lines, that is a similar steepness to the stretch from Rigi Kul to Kulmhütte. So, we have got a longer and more nearly level walk from Staffel than from Kulm, as far as Kulmhütte. Then a stretch with a definite descent.

Might be gravel, might be paved. Since the area has low population density, gravel would not be surprising. Since the Käserei would like to have a decent “road” to get its goods in and out, it has some probability of being paved.

On Google maps, satellite view you can see gravel road at the Käserei. The rest looks smoother. However, on the trail near Kulmhütte, there are traces of grass in the center of the road surface. That strongly suggests gravel.

http://www.google.com/maps/pl ace/Rigi+Staffelh%C3%B 6he/@47.0510666,8.4922 343,63m/data=!3m1!1e3! 4m5!3m4!1s0x4785560df5 48dabf:0xf4cf195dcb7ed f60!8m2!3d47.048094!4d 8.4645

That’s all I can figure out. I’d say gravel is more likely. Wear good boots with rugged grippy soles for ankle support and definitely use at least one hiking staff. You can brace yourself with it ahead of yourself as you descend if the trail is slippery.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2019 at 16:01:28 #916591

One more thought.

On the trail from Rigi Staffel to Alpwirtschaft Chäsernholz, via Kulmhütte, there is an intermediate climbto 1673 meters.

Examination of the aerial view topo map shows a trail that takes a short cut, and avoids the climb, followed by descent. It is clearly a less good trail. Likely a footpath, probably with some rough surfaces. However, it is “yellow” trail on the topo map, which means that it will be marked with a Wanderweg sign, and will not have any really mountainous sections.

If I were doing it, I’d take that route. I don’t climb very fast. 😉

If you try it and don’t like it, you can return to Rigi Staffel by way of Kulmhütte.

Marked up screen capture is attached.

Slowpoke

Grammy
    Participant
    14 posts
    1 July 2019 at 19:35:04 #916592

Can we purchase the hiking staff in Luzern. Any suggestions? Thanks for all the great info. Looks like it is do able.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2019 at 19:59:13 #916593

A hiking staff, in German (ein Spazierstock) can be purchased at almost any sporting goods store. In the Alps, you can probably even rent one, for example, in Wengen.

Considering your first post, and the trails we have studied, I would not make that walk without one. If they were all surely paved, I’d feel less strongly about it, but I have gotten to the point where I never hike without one.

A nationwide chain is Intersport. They carry Leki, which is the best brand. Some models collapse to fit into a small suitcase.The very helpful tourist info office in Luzern main station by track #3 can point you to a place to buy one.

However, when I wanted on for a person visiting me, I checked the nationwide chain of Migros stores, and found a perfectly good model of a cheaper brand for a considerably cheaper price than the Leki’s. I have no idea how durable it is. I brought it back with me but have never used it myself. i think you have to go into one of their larger stores to find one. This link is for a Leki:

produkte.migros.ch/lek i-city-senior-vario-spazierstock

The other brand is not well-labelled,….besides “SWISS”, it says in fine print “trevolution.”

Migros has several “supermarkt” locations in Luzern:

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&channel=tus&q=migros +in+Luzern&npsic=0&rfl fq=1&rlha=0&rllag=4704 3180,8307389,1303&tbm= lcl&ved=2ahUKEwjRlY2sv pTjAhUEZd8KHbf6AxwQjGp 6BAgKEDA&tbs=lrf:!2m1! 1e3!2m1!1e16!3sIAE,lf: 1,lf_ui:4&rldoc=1#rlfi =hd:;si:;mv:!1m2!1d47. 094097399999995!2d8.36 80264!2m2!1d47.0147474 !2d8.254059400000001!3 m12!1m3!1d38508.918670 35759!2d8.311042899999 999!3d47.0544223999999 9!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2! 1i332!2i340!4f13.1;tbs :lrf:!2m1!1e3!2m1!1e16 !3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4

The store that I bought from happened to be in in Rapperswil and was next to a “Migros Sportschule” if it matters.

Coop is a good quality competitor to Migros and has perhaps more department stores….in my opinon, anyway.. They are all over.

These Intersport affiliates are in Kanton Luzern, but do not seem to be in the city itself:

http://www.tiendeo.ch/Filiale n/luzern/intersport

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2019 at 23:29:25 #916594

Ooops. I forgot to ask – when are you traveling? I’d not do that in snow season…….

Slowpoke

Grammy
    Participant
    14 posts
    2 July 2019 at 22:38:19 #916595

No worries. We are coming in late August. I wouldn’t attempt if there was ice. Shopping for better shoes now and then will shop for the hiking staff. I really appreciate all your information.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 July 2019 at 23:12:06 #916596

By the way, if you’d like to visit an impressive show-dairy with restaurant, check out the one in Affoltern im Emmental

There are pictures in this long thread, with the April 16th post, that give you an idea what it is all about:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/langnau-in-may/page/2

Not all that hard to reach from Luzern.

Slowpoke

Annika
    7104 posts
    3 July 2019 at 6:39:19 #916597

Hi Grammy,

It’s not the route you were initially looking into, but I can highly recommend the scenic and easy panorama path from Rigi Kaltbad to Rigi Scheidegg, following the route of a former railway line. You’ll have splendid views around each corner. You’ll start off from Rigi Kaltbad, accessible by cable car from Weggis. At Rigi Scheidegg you can take a cable car down to one of the stops on the Rig-Arth Goldau line and change to the train there.

• The thread ‘Question on easy Rigi hiking trail for seniors’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.