Beste route up and down Mount Pilatus

• cruiser939
    Participant
    11 posts
    12 June 2019 at 5:11:19 #822214

Hi all, just a few couple regarding planning a day trip to Mt. Pilatus.

1. Is there a mode of travel that is better in terms of views? I’d like to experience both the cog rail and the gondola but is there a certain mode I should take on the ascent and a certain mode I should use on the decent?

2. If I purchase the tickets from the SBB website and have the printed out paper copies as well as the e-ticket on my SBB app is that all I’ll need to travel or will I have to show these tickets at the entrance for either or both the cog rail and the gondola in order to receive additional ticketing?

Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 June 2019 at 5:20:34 #914905

Hi Cruiser939,

1. It’s doesn’t matter in my opinion. I’ve heard that the cogwheel train can be quite busy in the morning when going up, but I guess that differs from day to day. In either case, be sure to take both rounds to see all of the scenery: http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere.

2. Whether you buy from SBB or elsewhere does not matter, you will most probably need to exchange your ticket for the “official” one that operates the turnstiles. There’s no extra time involved as compared to buying on the spot. It’s slightly quicker normally.

http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/tickets

AJB1
    Participant
    8 posts
    12 June 2019 at 10:54:03 #914906

Hello

We “did” Mt Pilatus a week ago, on 4th June. We were staying in Luzern at the time. The hotel receptionist was very familiar with going up and down Mt Pilatus and advised us that the less busy and therefore more enjoyable route was to go up from Kriens in the gondola/then cable car, and down by cogwheel to Alpnachstad.

That is what we did and found the receptionist’s advice to be good. It was truly wonderful/magical/thrilling!

We had a complimentary bus travel ticket in Luzern, given to us by our hotel. So we got the No 1 bus (just outside our hotel) to Kriens, about a 10 minute journey. Left Luzern about 8.15/8.30 am (that avoids the crowds later on in the day- we had gondola/cable car and cogwheel carriage all to ourselves). Then walked the very short (signposted) route to the Mt Pilatus station where we bought our tickets, getting a 50% discount with our Interrail passes.No queing. Very quick and helpful and friendly.

Once the cogwheel adventure ended in Alpnachstad we reluctantly got off the little train and caught the next train back to Luzern, with free travel of course. Before we did that, we had a picnic lunch across the way from the train station looking out onto the lovely lake.

Enjoy!

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    12 June 2019 at 11:48:56 #914907

Or, at Alpnachstad, take the boat back to Luzern. Boat is a short 2 minute walk. Boat free with STP.

• The thread ‘Beste route up and down Mount Pilatus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.