Questions about rail pass validity & Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 5:19:09 #816636

Hi,

Travelling around alone in europe alone starting with switzerland from tomo. I have bought a tell pass and the geneva lake region pass.

Just had a few questions

1. The passes work both ways on a line am i right i.e from point a to b and b to a. ( stupid question maybe).

2. I am travelling on the golden pass line from luzern. So i was looking at tickets.

the journey i understand has 3 stages.

Stage 1 : Luzern to interlaken ost. My tell pass should give me a full discount so i can just get on to the train directly.

Stage 2: Interlaken to Zweismann. This i have bought a ticket as i did not find both my passes covering the same.(Hope i was right). Also do i have to change trains in spiez or the same train continues down to Zweismann. Its the 9:08 train from interlaken. Train 4065.

Stage 3: Zweismann to montreux . Make use of my geneva lake pass to travel for free again.

Does the same train continue on to lausanne?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 12:55:51 #888262

Hi UserAK and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Where’s Tomo? Lake Como?

1. Yes in both directions 🙂
    2. Stage 1: Correct
      Stage 2: Correct & some trains require a change in Spiez and some go direct to Zweisimmen. The timetable will tell you when searching for trains between Interlaken and Zweisimmen: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable<br /> Stage 3:
    3. Correct and you may want to make reservations for this stage as it gets busy in the summer (but it isn’t required) https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/packa ges
    4. You’ll need to change trains in Montreux to go to Lausanne.

If you aren’t sure about rail pass coverage see the PDF maps on the links below:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 23:14:46 #888263

first, just to note that GoldenPass is a modern tourist branding

Luzern – Interlaken

This is not the true Golden Pass, but the Brünig Pass line – part of the Zentralbahn. Trains (mostly red and white) are branded Luzern-Interlaken Express

Interlaken Zweisimmen: BLS railway normal standard gauge line (most trains blue and white). Your train RE4965 is a through train – no change at Spiez

PDF timetable here: http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2018/320.pdf

Zweisimmen – Montreux

narrow gauge MOB (Montreux – Oberland Bernois) railway. This is the ‘true’ Golden Pass line – dubbed by early ‘Belle Epoque’ tourists from Britain

Montreux – Lausanne – Geneva: Swiss Federal railways standard gauge main line train

All trains are ‘walk-on’ no reservations required

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 3:29:55 #888264

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the replies and clarifications.

I had shortened tomorrow to tomo.

Reaching switzerland today.

Just final 2 questions.

THis is regarding the zvv pass.

I will buy the 9 o clock day pass . Since its a weekend it will cover all zone from 9AM.

I have plans to visit rhine falls, boat trip in zurich and some museums .

I will be travelling to lucerne.

The coverage of the 9 o clock day pass as per the below link is till horgen oberdorf.

http://www.zvv.ch/content/dam /zvv/abos-und-tickets/zonen/tarifzon en_d_e_17_rgb.pdf

From baar the tell pass starts working.

So i just need to buy a ticket from horgen oberdorf to baar or is that covered with my two passes?

Train i will be travelling on is the S24.

Does tell pass work on this?

I know its highly specific questions still a bit confused about how passes travel over. I slightly regret not buying the swiss travel pass .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 6:33:36 #888265

Yes, that is how it will work. You’ll need a ticket to fill in the gap between the all-zone ZVV pass and the start of the Tell Pass.

Where are you getting the train to Luzern? Are you starting at Zurich HB? https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

If that were the case I’d buy a ticket from Thalwil to Baar – easiest option for about 8chf. Buy it before boarding the train.

• The thread ‘Questions about rail pass validity & Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.