Questions about rail pass validity & Golden Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
UserAK
UserAK
2 posts
Jun 14, 2018 - 5:19 AM

Hi,

Travelling around alone in europe alone starting with switzerland from tomo. I have bought a tell pass and the geneva lake region pass.

Just had a few questions

1. The passes work both ways on a line am i right i.e from point a to b and b to a. ( stupid question maybe).

2. I am travelling on the golden pass line from luzern. So i was looking at tickets.

the journey i understand has 3 stages.

Stage 1 : Luzern to interlaken ost. My tell pass should give me a full discount so i can just get on to the train directly.

Stage 2: Interlaken to Zweismann. This i have bought a ticket as i did not find both my passes covering the same.(Hope i was right). Also do i have to change trains in spiez or the same train continues down to Zweismann. Its the 9:08 train from interlaken. Train 4065.

Stage 3: Zweismann to montreux . Make use of my geneva lake pass to travel for free again.

Does the same train continue on to lausanne?

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
Jun 14, 2018 - 12:55 PM in reply to UserAK

Hi UserAK and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Where's Tomo? Lake Como?

1. Yes in both directions :)
  2. Stage 1: Correct
    Stage 2: Correct & some trains require a change in Spiez and some go direct to Zweisimmen. The timetable will tell you when searching for trains between Interlaken and Zweisimmen: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable<br /> Stage 3:
  3. Correct and you may want to make reservations for this stage as it gets busy in the summer (but it isn't required) https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass/packa ges
  4. You'll need to change trains in Montreux to go to Lausanne.

If you aren't sure about rail pass coverage see the PDF maps on the links below:

1960man
1960man
294 posts
top member
Jun 14, 2018 - 11:14 PM

first, just to note that GoldenPass is a modern tourist branding

Luzern - Interlaken

This is not the true Golden Pass, but the Brünig Pass line - part of the Zentralbahn. Trains (mostly red and white) are branded Luzern-Interlaken Express

Interlaken Zweisimmen: BLS railway normal standard gauge line (most trains blue and white). Your train RE4965 is a through train - no change at Spiez

PDF timetable here: www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2018/320.pdf

Zweisimmen - Montreux

narrow gauge MOB (Montreux - Oberland Bernois) railway. This is the 'true' Golden Pass line - dubbed by early 'Belle Epoque' tourists from Britain

Montreux - Lausanne - Geneva: Swiss Federal railways standard gauge main line train

All trains are 'walk-on' no reservations required

Last modified on Jun 14, 2018 - 11:16 PM by 1960man
UserAK
UserAK
2 posts
Jun 15, 2018 - 3:29 AM

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the replies and clarifications.

I had shortened tomorrow to tomo.

Reaching switzerland today.

Just final 2 questions.

THis is regarding the zvv pass.

I will buy the 9 o clock day pass . Since its a weekend it will cover all zone from 9AM.

I have plans to visit rhine falls, boat trip in zurich and some museums .

I will be travelling to lucerne.

The coverage of the 9 o clock day pass as per the below link is till horgen oberdorf.

www.zvv.ch/content/dam /zvv/abos-und-tickets/zonen/tarifzon en_d_e_17_rgb.pdf

From baar the tell pass starts working.

So i just need to buy a ticket from horgen oberdorf to baar or is that covered with my two passes?

Train i will be travelling on is the S24.

Does tell pass work on this?

I know its highly specific questions still a bit confused about how passes travel over. I slightly regret not buying the swiss travel pass .

Lucas
Lucas
6375 posts
expert &
Jun 15, 2018 - 6:33 AM in reply to UserAK

Yes, that is how it will work. You'll need a ticket to fill in the gap between the all-zone ZVV pass and the start of the Tell Pass.

Where are you getting the train to Luzern? Are you starting at Zurich HB? https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

If that were the case I'd buy a ticket from Thalwil to Baar - easiest option for about 8chf. Buy it before boarding the train.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018