Weather in August and places to go – no hiking

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2017 at 23:00:38 #810722

Hello, I am new to this forum. My Husband and I are planning to go Switzerland on August 5th for 4-5 days. We have two kids (14 and 10) This will be our first time to go to Switzerland. We definitely want to go to Jungfraujoch and the Village of Gruyere. We are not a big fun of hiking. We like to do some chocolate tasting, Eat in an authentic Swiss restaurant. My fourteen yrs old also likes to take a lot of pictures . Does anyone has any other suggestions to visit /or must see places? Lastly what to find out what is the weather like in August? Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 February 2017 at 8:52:21 #858665

Welcome to MySwissAlps rianbunch26!

Spiez is a town near the mountains, on Lake Thun, and in between Jungfraujoch and Gruyères. There are plenty of other options too, but this would be good base logistically.

For things to do and the weather, please see:

Also our planning page might be useful.

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    3 February 2017 at 13:55:48 #858666

Hi, I have taken my 2 boys to Switzerland for a few days the past couple of years, similar ages to yours, and they love it. They are not huge fans of hiking with their Mother for too long but definitely were blown away by the scenery so I would recommend that you don’t miss out on being in the mountains. Things mine loved – Jungfraujoch; gondolas up to First from Grindelwald and the cliff walk there (favourite thing); the cliffs at Murren, the playground at Allmendhubel, in fact any playground that is also in the middle of the mountains e.g. Bort; lake activities – kayaking, swimming, paddleboarding, boat ride. Bear in mind it takes a while and can be tiring travelling around in the mountains, especially if it’s busy. If you do Jungfraujoch, go super early to avoid crowds and buy tickets the day before after checking the weather forecast. Things my boys didn’t love – any random (as they would consider it – I would say soaking up the ambiance) walking about in towns unless it’s for shopping for Swiss Army knives, being squashed in busy trains, queuing up for cable cars etc – usual kid stuff. This can be avoided if you get up and go to places early. They desperately want to do paragliding next time.

Anyway that’s just tips from my kids – you would obviously have a better idea of what yours like to do!

• The thread ‘Weather in August and places to go – no hiking’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.