Questions about train travel, Interlaken to Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2020 at 23:40:36 #825156

Hi all, I have a question about this particular route. We (6 of us) will have Swiss travel pass for our travel.

We will be leaving Lauterbrunen on 20th April 2020. Our ultimate destination will be Geneva which is our base (checking in Geneva on the same day)

1) If we are leaving early in the morning, is it possible to do Golden Pass Line from Interlaken (Lauterbrunen to Interlaken) then take the GP line to Montreux followed by Montreux to Geneva on the same day?

2)What is the rail type from Montreux to Geneva? Is it frequent?

3) is it possible to travel with luggages?

4) do we need to get seat reservations for Interlaken to Montreux?

I understand that we will have limited time in Montreux but we can always go back from Geneva as we will be in Geneva for a few days.

Just wondering if the travel from Interlaken to Geneva with a stop at Montreux to experience the GP Line is possible?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 February 2020 at 23:57:56 #929763

1. You join the GP route at Interlaken not Lauterbrunnen.

2. Yes.

3. A mixture of trains are involved. Betweeen Zweisimmen you can get the MOB Golden Pass Panoramic, the Belle Époque or regular trains. Yes, connections are quite frequent..

4. You can make reservations for the Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/goldenpass) including seat selection at bit.ly/2kaq6Rf. Click the “e” for English language top right of the page. (where it says “Sprachwahl: d i f e”). Then change the class of travel, date of travel and start/end points to suit. Reservations are not compulsory but are recommended on the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg (which is where the Panoramic and Belle Époque trains operate) during peak tourist season. April is not peak tourist season.

It is perfectly feasible to travel from Interlaken to Geneva using the Golden Pass route. For checking timetables see http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/checking-train-timetables.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 0:15:02 #929764

Many thanks for that!

Last question, from Interlaken to Zweisimmen, I read from your link that it’s part of the Golden Pass Line. But I can’t seem to find the GP trains for this route.

Is there any particular stop I need to put in?

Thank you so much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 0:27:08 #929765

Your route is absolutely possible. I have visited Interlaken from Geneva via the so called Golden Pass on day trips many times in the past.

Interlaken – Zweisimmen is a normal gauge train operated by the BLS railway company – local service or faster service depending on what time you depart Interlaken. No reservations needed on this section.

Montreux – Genève is Swiss Federal Railways main line. There are fast trains at least twice per hour throughout the day

• The thread ‘Questions about train travel, Interlaken to Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.