Questions & rail passes on 4 day visit to Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 August 2018 at 18:06:46 #817686

Hello we are arriving in Switzerland by car spending the first night Lausanne-Ouchy then onto Murren for 3 nights. We will be leaving the car at either car park Stechelberg or Lauterbrunnen. Our Itinerary so far is looking like this:

Mon: overnight in Lausanne-Ouchy possible boat tour Tues: Car Park Lauterbrunnen or Stechelberg to Murren Afternoon do the Mountain View Trail Wed: weather permitting Schiltorn or Jungfraubahn Thurs: Via Ferrata Murren Fri: back to car park to pick up car and drive back to Paris.

I have not quite finished the Rail Pass Spreadsheet but looking at the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland @ 249 CHF each would be best rail pass and then we would only have to pay for the train from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch: Fixed price: CHF 99 for a return ticket OR Cable car from Mürren to Schilthorn: 50% off. All other travel in our itinerary would be free. Does that sound correct?

If weather is good is there a must do Jungfraujoch over Schilthorn?

In restaurants in Switzerland what is tipping requirements?

We typically use our Visa cards when travelling but always carry some cash of the country we are travelling in. What would you recommend for an amount? We will pay cash for the Vinette at the border.

I think I have read that we can pick up good trail maps in the village?

Thanks for your assistance.

BO.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 August 2018 at 19:59:28 #893356

Hi BO-

Sounds like a nice trip. When are you travelling? It matters in the Alps.

I know that you are doing the spreadsheet, but I wonder if non-discounted tickets would work for you. It is short trip, with not too much obvious travel on public transport?

<<“In restaurants in Switzerland what is tipping requirements?”>>

Requirement – no tip.

The Swiss may leave the loose change on the table or round up to the nearest CHF.

However, in areas where American tourists have spoiled the wait staff, some kind of modest tip is common. The staff do not depend on tips for their livelihood, as they do here in the USA, so a tip is a reward for exceptional service. If I stay at a small hotel for a few days, where the same staff helps me every day,I leave 10 or a few 10’s of CHF for the staff, particularly if I expect to return regularly. That is not required, either.

You can still get good trail maps, for example at the sporting good stores, or convenience stores. Harder to do in area where hiking is less common these days, because everyone uses a smart phone.

shop.swisstopo.admin.c h/en/products/maps/Swi ssMapMobile_Abo

This following map is prepared by SwissTopo, the Federal Land Office. They also publish a variety of paper maps, including the “Wanderkarten” which have highlighted trails.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&zoom=5&E=26 31900.88&N=1159292.13

For the color coding, see:

http://www.alpenwild.com/stat icpage/trail-signs-in-the-swiss-alps/

The trails are extremely well marked, so you probably won’t need maps to find your way for what you have described. They are handy for figuring out altitude changes, however.

I like them because you get a good overview of the territory.

<<“We typically use our Visa cards when travelling but always carry some cash of the country we are travelling in. What would you recommend for an amount? We will pay cash for the Vinette at the border.”>>

In a tourist area, credit cards are almost universally accepted. However, throughout Switzerland, even in some resort area, only cash is accepted. There are lots of ATMs.

I usually carry a few hundred CHF. Merchants are always glad to avoid the fees from the credit card companies. I always use cash for small purchases, merely as personal preference.

I like to look at the Swiss paper money, which is almost all on plastic “paper” theses days.

Jungfrau vs. Schilthorn is a matter of personal preference.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch

Slowpoke

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    6 August 2018 at 3:03:52 #893357

Do you really need to have a car?

The rail options in the areas you are visiting are good. And you leave the driving to the experts.

People watching is a major component of my international travels and, as an Australian, it’s always fascinating to observe Americans away from “home” especially on their first trip outside the USA.

Food and refreshment in Switzerland is expensive by anyone’s standards but, like Australia and other countries, the bottom line is the final price and IMHO any extra would be a reward for very exceptional service. Having said that, the food and refreshment is generally high quality.

At least the checked pants fashion for older males (like me) seems to have passed by.

Enjoy your travels!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2018 at 6:55:49 #893358

Hi BO,

I’d compare the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland to the Swiss Half Fare Card. Slowpoke is right, with limited travel on trains or cable cars sometimes a rail pass won’t save money in the end.

That being said, the Swiss Half Fare Card is a good option (for car drivers especially) and has a lower purchase price. It will also give you a discount on a boat trip from Lausanne if you choose to do it. Or any other trip you decide to do in Switzerland.
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d

In regards to tips, Swiss Francs etc you may find this thread a good read: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/what -to-avoid-in-switzerland

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 August 2018 at 7:57:38 #893359

Ooops-

I should have said-

<<“However, throughout Switzerland, even in some resort area, there are occasional places where only cash is accepted.”>>

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Questions & rail passes on 4 day visit to Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.