Questions re driving from St Moritz to Livigno

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2019 at 8:37:05 #821580

Hi there

My wife and I will be driving through to the Dolomites in early June (before later returning a week later to Switzerland via the iconic trains). We will be driving a rental from Como through to Chiavenna and then onto St Mortiz. From there we would like to travel to Livigno from the south via the Forcola Di Livigno and then via the SS301 to the Stelvio Pass and beyond. There are a couple of things that I’m not sure about.

Is the Forcola Di Livigno road normally open by June 7? (Where is the best place to find up to date information on that?)

If it is closed and we have to detour through Zernez what is the situation with the one way tunnel? Are there likely to be long delays (cost?)

If the Livigno section becomes too much of a hassle with the 2 points above is the Umbrail Pass likely to be open? (Where is the best place to find up to date information on that?)

and lastly.. is the Swiss vignette required for any of those eventualities? (ie worst case scenario would be Chiavenna to Zernez and then Zernez to the border on 28 road. The map I downloaded indicates that it would not be required but on the viamichelen site when I put in tha troute it says one is required).

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2019 at 12:22:43 #912133

Hello Bull600,

For information on the Forcola di Livigno and Swiss mountain passes in general please use:
    http://www.alpen-paesse.ch/en/

I’ll have to put some more research into the other questions. Will get back to you soon.

Best,
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2019 at 23:31:53 #912134

The Umbrail is one of the highest passes in Europe and unlikely to be open (possibly also applies to the Stelvio)

I’ve never seen unduly heavy traffic on the Zernez – Livigno road.

• The thread ‘Questions re driving from St Moritz to Livigno’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.