Waiting times for Schynige Platte Bahn

• MS320
    Participant
    60 posts
    24 January 2019 at 16:10:04 #819605

Hello,

I’m travelling to Switzerland in July, and I’m planning to go up to Schynige Platte. However, I’ve seen some reviews that say that you may have to wait 40mins to catch the train because of the crowds going up. Do you think I would be able to catch the 11h25 train arriving 10 minutes early, or would I have to wait for the 12h05 one?

Thank you very much in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    25 January 2019 at 0:49:35 #902782

HI Miguel

we were there in September for a mid morning departure and the train was full. I believe they added 1 or 2 cars to accommodate everyone waiting. I expect July would likely be busier than September and mid morning to noon departures busier than early or afternoon departures. I would’t be surprised if you had to wait if you got there only 10 min early but I don’t know for sure. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2019 at 0:59:11 #902783

Arriving 10 minutes before the Schynigge Platte Bahn (SPB) train is roughly the norm. Unless it has changed since I last did it there is no queuing system in place, so you just have to be quick about getting on the train – it is normally obvious which trains you board.

By the way they don’t ‘add one or two more cars’ to a train on the SPB. The SPB uses the oldest rolling stock of any Swiss (arguably European) railway . As such the line is operated using very old methods largely extinct on other railways, which means trains can only consist of one locomotive and two carriages. To add capacity, one timetabled train will actually consist of two or three of these separate trains running up the line one behind the other.

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    25 January 2019 at 2:11:01 #902784

Yes, boarding the train was quiet chaotic and there were quite a few who did’nt get a seat. That was when they added seats to accommodate those that did’nt find a seat on the scheduled train. Obviously I didn’t pay close attention and they must have added another locomotive with 2 carriages. Anyway, everyone who was waiting got a seat.

Perhaps this is standard practice to add another train but since July and August are usually more crowded than September, I suspect there is some upper limit to the number they can accommodate at peak times. However, it may be a non issue

MS320
    Participant
    60 posts
    25 January 2019 at 16:10:55 #902785

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply. Anyway, as I’m coming from Grindelwald, I think I’ll catch the earlier train to be at Wilderswil 30mins before the SPB train departs. That way I’ll probably get a seat. Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2019 at 1:17:42 #902786

No it doesn’t quite work like that – which is why I said 10 minutes was fine. Arriving 30 mins early doesn’t help if there is still no queuing system. The train doesn’t usually get to the boarding platform until close to the departure time. You just have to be bold when positioning yourself near the platform…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2019 at 1:19:54 #902787

I think you have misunderstood my explanation. They don’t ‘add carriages’. The trains run as separate entities, but count as the same departure. This is standard practice to cater for all the customers wanting to travel.The same happens on other steep mountain railways such as Brienz Rothorn

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2019 at 1:43:52 #902788

I’ve been to find my pictures from a journey in mid August 2017.

The picture is taken from the leading train, showing the second train of the pair following close behind

Both counted as the 11.25 departure from Wilderswil

MS320
    Participant
    60 posts
    26 January 2019 at 12:16:29 #902789

Ok, ok… My problem is that I’m coming from Grindelwald, and the BOB train to Interlaken arrives just 8 minutes before the scheduled SPB train departure, that may already be waiting on the platform, with people inside… So if I can, I will try to arrive earlier, if I can’t, I’ll hope that I can get a seat.

Thank you very much again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 January 2019 at 23:55:36 #902790

I see what you mean. However I can’t see a train that gets to Wilderswil from Grindelwald 8 minutes before the SPB trains departs. Trains from Grindelwald are regular interval, always arriving at xx.18 or xx.48.

Depends on which departure from Wilderswil you are aiming for. You can get to Wilderswil around 18 minutes before some departures which might be about right

interestingly – presumably due to the geography of the line and the slow running speed, the SPB doesn’t fit into the modern Swiss clockface departure pattern

Here are the official timetable PDFs that may help:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/314.pdf

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/312.pdf

MS320
    Participant
    60 posts
    27 January 2019 at 10:09:54 #902791

Yes, I see that. I’m trying to catch the 11h25 to Schynige Platte, and the train from Grindelwald arrives at 11h17, which means that I would have a tight connection on a mid-morning departure. So I’ll try to arrive at Wilderswil on the 10h47 train, and then wait about 30mins for the 11h25 SPB train. But thanks again for your help! Very useful…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 1:14:54 #902792

Yep that sounds good. As you will have seen that was the departure I took in the picture I posted. I travelled to Wilderswil by bus on that occasion, and I popped into the nearby Migros (my favourite shop – I’ve known Migros since before I could talk!) shop for picnic food – extra time helps for that!

MS320
    Participant
    60 posts
    30 January 2019 at 18:30:36 #902793

Ok, ok… thank you very much again!

• The thread ‘Waiting times for Schynige Platte Bahn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.