Quick 4 day trip around Jungfrau Region

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2011 at 23:42:11 #804099

Hello,
    I need some advice. I am flying in from America to Italy. I want to see the Jungfrau Region (Gimmelwald, Schilthorn, Interlaken) I am not sure if it would be better to fly into Zurich and take the train to Interlaken and after my stay a train to Milan or if I should fly to Milan and rent my car and then drive to Interlaken. I am leaning to flying into Milan and renting my car first. Should I spend the money on a region pass or saver if I only stay 4 or 5 days?
    Thank you for any advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    22 January 2011 at 9:50:41 #832116

Hi Gaetano! If you get to Milan first and rent a car there, this would mean that you’d miss out on part of Switzerland’s public transport services, which provide a very comfortable and convenient way of travelling. Moreover, a car won’t get you to many of the destinations you may want to visit in the Jungfrau region. Viewing points and some car free towns such as Wengen and Mürren can only be reached by cable car and train. So my advice would be to travel around Interlaken by train and bus and then to get to Milan by train as well. Whether you need a pass for discounts, depends on your exact travel plans. If you only want to discover the Jungfrau region and if you won’t travel to Milan by train, you may want to take a look at the Jungfrau Railways Pass. This is valid for 6 days, however, and you’d have to be travelling quite intensively to really profit from its advantages, compared to its price. A Swiss Half Fare Card may be suitable as well, but this too depends on how long your journeys will be. A Swiss Half Fare Card will also be valid for a train journey from Interlaken to the Swiss border, when heading for Milan, so this might save you quite a lot of money. Calculations, based on your exact plans, will have to prove if a pass is cost effective in your case.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2011 at 15:38:52 #832117

I agree, the car is going to be pretty useless in the Berner Oberland. Another thing to consider is that renting a car in one country and dropping it in another can involve high drop-off fees.
    But you have chosen the best place to spend your four days in Switzerland. It doesn’t get any better!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 January 2011 at 16:14:52 #832118

I wanted to rent the car in Milan first and drive it to either Interlaken or lauterbrunnen then leave the car there and travel Berner Oberland and then drive back to Italy. The train from Interlaken to Milan is long and expensive and as you said it is expensive to rent in one country and leave in another. After Switzerland I am going to go to Rome and Salerno. I am still unsure what if any swiss pass would be good for my trip.
    Thanks for the responses

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 January 2011 at 16:45:34 #832119

Hello Gaetano. Picking the right pass is a difficult decision indeed. Only if you manage to make an exact calculation of the trips you’ve planned, you can tell for sure which pass is most economical. If not, you’ll have to make a reasonable guess. Intensive travelling within the Jungfrau Region may be rewarded with a Jungfrau Railways Pass, but again: this depends on how often you’ll be travelling and what kind of journeys you’ll be making.

• The thread ‘Quick 4 day trip around Jungfrau Region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.