Planning Switzerland car & train trip for 10 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2017 at 20:17:06 #813703

My family and I are planning a trip to Switzerland June 2018 We will becoming from Paris and plan to stay 10 days. Plan is to take train from Paris to Lausanne and catch the Golden Pass to Luzern then pick up a car and go to Lauterbrunnen then on to Zermatt and finish off in the Lake Como area before heading back to Zurich. What are your thoughts or comments Also think of getting the Swiss half pass Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    20 November 2017 at 21:13:37 #872179

Greetings RandMarg and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Sounds nice. You might want to consider Lugano rather than Como if you want to stay in Switzerland. Bernina Express and Gotthard Panoramic Express are both very nice scenic ways of getting back to Zurich from Lugano.

Also read this http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 7:54:41 #872180

Yes a car is rarely beneficial for Swiss transport, especially in Lauterbrunnen (once you are there everything is accessible by train or cable car only).

I would still with the train for the whole trip and look at either the Swiss Half Fare Card as you mention or the Swiss Travel Pass (8 or 15 days). If you are staying in Lauterbrunnen for a good part of your stay the Jungfrau Travel Pass would be a good idea (often people buy that and the Swiss Half Fare Card).

• The thread ‘Planning Switzerland car & train trip for 10 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.