Rail Euro misspelled my name on Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2019 at 11:27:06 #820524

Hi team,

i recently bought the print at home Swiss travel pass from Rail Euro. The have misspelt my last name. They added an extra a at the end of it. When I got back to them they said I need to cancel and re-book which will incur a cancellation fee of 15%. The say they confirmed from their team that it will be an issue while travelling as the last name won’t match with the passport.

is there a way I can get around this?will it really be an issue while travelling? 15% is a big amount for the 8 days pass:(

thanks in advance,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 March 2019 at 17:32:15 #907137

Hi Adi148,

I’m sorry to hear about this issue! Do you mean Rail Europe? If you are 100% sure that they, not you, misspelled your name, then I think they should correct this at no charge. If you misspelled the name then they are formally correct: the name needs to match with the one on the passport, and a 15% cancellation fee is standard and applies to any company selling passes.

Personally I’d take the risk IF the one letter at the end is the only issue. If everything else is correct, including the passport number, I can’t imagine this will be an issue. Note that people with very long names also don’t get a pass with their full name since there’s not enough space on the passes. To be sure, you can ask the staff at any train station in Switzerland before you board your first train. This is not a guarantee but an estimation though.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 March 2019 at 0:28:38 #907138

If you bought print at home tickets, this would indicate that you bought the tickets yourself and online.

As such, it was probably you that mistyped your own last name and so the fault lies with you, unfortunately.

I am pretty sure the system did not make a mistake.

• The thread ‘Rail Euro misspelled my name on Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.