Delivery of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex by post?

• Isobel
    Participant
    54 posts
    16 April 2019 at 0:55:11 #821006

Hi,

I am so close to ordering from Rail Europe but have a few questions especially for Arno. Will Flex 15 Day Pass be posted to Australia by registered mail? Is the Pass just a piece of paper, or something more substantial such as a plastic card (it has to last nearly 3 weeks for me).

How are the 15 Flex days accounted for as they are used on the Pass? For example, do I fill in the date of each use, or will Rail staff stamp or click the pass?

Should Rail Europe be asking for my Passport number? I did start to order Pass, but all these concerns put me off until I have clearer information. I noticed Rail Europe do not require a passport number when ordering the Flex Pass, just name, address, country of residence. I definitely hesitate to pay so much money in advance for perhaps just a piece of paper I cannot replace easily and which could take two weeks or longer to arrive. I have been reading other contributors’ comments and questions, and am wondering if I should go through the stress of waiting and hoping it arrives promptly and safely, or just switch to a consecutive days Swiss Travel Pass I can print out, or buy the Flex pass at airport and just pay the extra. I have emailed Rail Europe twice. The first email, they only answered one of my two questions. The second email was only sent 24 hours ago, but no answer yet. I find your forum much quicker and more helpful. We are not leaving Australia till June.

Appreciate all the help you are giving me. Thank you.

Regards, Isobel

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2019 at 3:02:38 #909491

Hello Isobel

Will Flex 15 Day Pass be posted to Australia by registered mail?

Can’t say for certain but I think the one I got from Happyrail was registered mail. It took 3 weeks to get to Australai.

Is the Pass just a piece of paper, or something more substantial such as a plastic card (it has to last nearly 3 weeks for me).

It’s a piece of paper in a plastic sleeve. Mine lasted 3 weeks without any problem. The only time you need to take it out of the transparent sleeve is when you write the date in the next travel day box.

How are the 15 Flex days accounted for as they are used on the Pass? For example, do I fill in the date of each use, or will Rail staff stamp or click the pass?

You fill in the dates as you go.

Should Rail Europe be asking for my Passport number?

I would think so but can’t remember if Happyrail did, the inspector on the train may ask to see you passport to confirm it is your pass you are travelling with.

Whether you go for the consecutive pass or the flex pass is really up to you and you individual travel plans.

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 April 2019 at 5:44:40 #909492

Hi Isobel,

If the Swiss Travel Pass Flex suits your itinerary best then I recommend to stick with that choice. Indeed it can’t be printed at home yet. It’s a paper pass. If you live in Australia then you can order via the Australian Rail Europe website: https://www.raileurope .com.au/pass/swiss-pass-7314. It will be shipped from their Australian office and delivery takes about 5 business days.

Paper passes have blank fields to fill out your data including the passport number. Doing so will validate the pass for traveling. It may require a stamp from Swiss railway staff. Other than that you don’t need staff, you can write down the desired travel days yourself. Please find details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpassflex/howt ouse.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 April 2019 at 6:04:35 #909493

Sound advice Arno. I didn’t need a stamp from Swiss Railway staff. Just filled out the first date, hopped on the train and went. The first inspector we met had spent 5 years working in Perth Australia so we got on very well.

Isobel
    Participant
    54 posts
    16 April 2019 at 11:49:25 #909494

Thank you Rockoyster for answering all my questions so clearly; great help. Regards, Isobel

Isobel
    Participant
    54 posts
    16 April 2019 at 12:00:34 #909495

Thank you Arno, that is all very helpful. I feel better knowing it will be posted from Australia. I hope Rail Europe reply to my email and confirm that it will definitely be posted by Registered Mail. Thanks a lot. Regards, Isobel.

• The thread ‘Delivery of the Swiss Travel Pass Flex by post?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.