Rail pass options for Switzerland itinerary

Rail pass options for Switzerland itinerary

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
SarasotaPaul
SarasotaPaul
19 posts
Jun 11, 2017 - 7:08 PM

We are staying 1 night in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne, 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen and one night in Basel The Jungfrau Travel Pass for 3 days is 168.50 CHF. Does it stop in Lauterbrunnen or only Interlaken? If the latter would I be better off staying in Interlake? The 4 day Swiss Travel Pass is $257, will that take me to Lauterbrunnen or Interlake? Is second class reasonable or do you need first class tickets?

Any changes you would recommend in the itinerary?

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5007 posts
expert
Jun 12, 2017 - 3:36 AM in reply to SarasotaPaul

Hi Paul-

Partial answer.

Perhaps Arno r Annika can help with the details of the passes.

<<"We are staying 1 night in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne, 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen and one night in Basel ">>

Why stay in Zürich. Go dirctly to Luzern.

The Jungfrau Travel Pass for 3 days is 168.50 CHF. Does it stop in Lauterbrunnen or only Interlaken? If the latter would I be better off staying in Interlake?

<<"The 4 day Swiss Travel Pass is $257, will that take me to Lauterbrunnen or Interlake? ">>

Yes, andalso to Interlaken. ;-)

<""Is second class reasonable">>

Yes

<<"or do you need first class tickets?">>

No.

<"Any changes you would recommend in the itinerary?">>

Yes. Skip Zürich, unless you have specific plans or objectives for this cosmopolitan city. Go directly to Luzern.

I love Zürich, but don't recommend it for the tourist interested in Swiss scenery.

www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

Slowpoke

Lucas
Lucas
8901 posts
expert &
Jun 12, 2017 - 5:26 AM in reply to SarasotaPaul

Hi SarasotaPaul,

If you are looking for outdoor/mountain scenery I would also suggest skipping Zurich on your itinerary.

You can see what is covered by the Jungfrau Travel Pass here and what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here (basically all of Switzerland). Click on the PDF map on each link.

I hate to add another option, but other than Zurich and Basel the Regional Pass - Bernese Oberland may fit well for you too. :) I would choose it over the Jungfrau Travel Pass as it covers the Luzern area as well.

In the end, make sure you read through our How to choose the best rail pass page as well. There is a handy excel sheet to help you do the math on the different passes and tickets.

Lucas

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Jun 12, 2017 - 3:53 PM

Forget Zurich, get to Zermatt!!! for beautiful

Last modified on Jun 13, 2017 - 8:50 AM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018