Rail pass options for Switzerland itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 19:08:00 #812226

We are staying 1 night in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne, 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen and one night in Basel The Jungfrau Travel Pass for 3 days is 168.50 CHF. Does it stop in Lauterbrunnen or only Interlaken? If the latter would I be better off staying in Interlake? The 4 day Swiss Travel Pass is $257, will that take me to Lauterbrunnen or Interlake? Is second class reasonable or do you need first class tickets?

Any changes you would recommend in the itinerary?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 June 2017 at 3:36:28 #864971

Hi Paul-

Partial answer.

Perhaps Arno r Annika can help with the details of the passes.

<<“We are staying 1 night in Zurich, 2 nights in Lucerne, 2 nights in Lauterbrunnen and one night in Basel “>>

Why stay in Zürich. Go dirctly to Luzern.

The Jungfrau Travel Pass for 3 days is 168.50 CHF. Does it stop in Lauterbrunnen or only Interlaken? If the latter would I be better off staying in Interlake?

<<“The 4 day Swiss Travel Pass is $257, will that take me to Lauterbrunnen or Interlake? “>>

Yes, andalso to Interlaken. 😉

<“”Is second class reasonable”>>

Yes

<<“or do you need first class tickets?”>>

No.

<“Any changes you would recommend in the itinerary?”>>

Yes. Skip Zürich, unless you have specific plans or objectives for this cosmopolitan city. Go directly to Luzern.

I love Zürich, but don’t recommend it for the tourist interested in Swiss scenery.

http://www.myswissalps.com/zu rich

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 5:26:14 #864972

Hi SarasotaPaul,

If you are looking for outdoor/mountain scenery I would also suggest skipping Zurich on your itinerary.

You can see what is covered by the Jungfrau Travel Pass here and what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass here (basically all of Switzerland). Click on the PDF map on each link.

I hate to add another option, but other than Zurich and Basel the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland may fit well for you too. 🙂 I would choose it over the Jungfrau Travel Pass as it covers the Luzern area as well.

In the end, make sure you read through our How to choose the best rail pass page as well. There is a handy excel sheet to help you do the math on the different passes and tickets.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 15:53:52 #864973

Forget Zurich, get to Zermatt!!! for beautiful

• The thread ‘Rail pass options for Switzerland itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.