Rail or car for travel in Jungfrau region in March

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 9:43:57 #814102

Hi I need help!!!!

Having been totally confused by the rail passes, my partner now wants to hire a car to get rid of all this confusion. All I want to know is, is this a good idea? Would we be able to get around ok as we are travelling in March? We are flying in to Geneva staying in Grindelwald and staying in this region for 5 days?

I understand the STP would cover everything, only 25% off Jungfraujoch

Half fare card-not covering airport transfers and 50% off Jungfraujoch

Jungraujoch hiking/sledging pass- cant find price.

I have looked at all the links on this site and I am still none the wiser!!!

Shan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 10:14:25 #874841

Hi Shan,

You can use the car to get to Grindelwald without too much issue (could be snowy roads, hard to know). But you can’t go any farther with the car. You would essentially be parking it there for the rest of the trip (unless you leave that area by car to go to other towns like Interlaken, Thun, Brienz and of course further out like Lucerne et al (where you can drive to).

But the towns of Murren and Wengen (near to Grindelwald) and of course all the mountains you may want to go up nearby are car-free. So a rail pass to cover those trips or to get some discounts at least would be beneficial for you I would think.

The Swiss Half Fare Card gets you 50% off all trips anywhere in Switzerland. This may be the simplest option for you if your head is about to explode with too many options! You always have to buy a ticket for every trip but it is always 50% off which is a good discount.

Use this PDF map on the Swiss Travel Pass and zoom into Grindelwald and then use the legend to see what routes are fully covered or partially covered by it.

Here’s the pricing page for the Jungfrau Hiking and Sledging pass: https://www.jungfrau.c h/en-gb/jungfrau-ski-region/jungfrau-region-hiking-and-sledging-pass/

For us to give you specific recommendations for a rail pass & for you to do price comparisons on different rail passes you need to create a day to day itinerary for your whole trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 10:38:17 #874842

Thank you very very much.

Does the half price pass include airport transfer journeys?

Shan x

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 11:16:51 #874843

Yes. its all the same system here. You can see the coverage of the Swiss Half Fare Card here.

On the map, any grey lines get no discount – there are only a few routes in the country. Red lines are trains, yellow are bus routes, black lines are cable cars and white lines are boats.

For the Swiss Half Fare Card you get 50% off solid lines & dotted lines (dash lines are just tunnels).

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 January 2018 at 14:58:28 #874844

Hi Shan,

In case you haven’t found it already, this page might be helpful for you as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 17:02:17 #874845

Thank you.

Can we travel via the Goldenpass line from Geneva airport to Grindewald? I’m assuming that half fare card is valid for this journey?

Cheers

Shan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 17:36:07 #874846

Thank you Lucas.

Here is our itinerary.

Monday 5th March. Geneva airport to Grindewald (via Golden pass may be). Explore Grindewald as it will be late aftetnoon.

Tuesday 6th March. Sledging from Grindewald (via Grindewald Bus???)

Wednesday 7th March. Visit Junfraujoch.

Thursday 8th March. Ski lesson ? Available from Grindewald?

Friday 9th March. Whole day to visit Wengen/Murren or Schilthorn or trip on Glacier line. Not 100% decided on that yet, need to do more research.

Sat 10th March. Flying home from Geneva airport in the night so a leisurely journey back to airport. Suggestions to see or visit anything in way back to airport.

I’m thinking Swiss Half Fare Card going to probably be our best choice?

I appreciate you opinions.

Thank you very much

Shan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 17:52:52 #874847

Hi Shan,

I think for your trip the Swiss Half Fare Card is the easiest choice yes. 50% off all tickets you will buy.
    You have to do the math and compare the costs of rail passes vs. tickets to know what is the cheapest for you. Our page how to choose the best rail pass will help. If you don’t want to do that I ‘d just go for the Swiss Half Fare Card – its a good option.

The itinerary looks good.
    If you have time you could go to Gruyeres to visit the cheese factory or the nearby Cailler chocolate factory. Or stop at Montreux for lunch and/or a boat ride on Lake Geneva.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 18:15:40 #874848

Thank you Lucas!

Im so sorry that I have been a nuisance today. I think I’m getting there!

When using our half fare card (i will purchase online and print at home) how do we purchase rail tickets? Are you able to pre book? for example our rail journey from airport? I looked on Trainline website and it wasnt clear where to state you had a rail pass to get discount.

Tbanks again.

Shan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 18:52:16 #874849

You don’t have to pre-book any tickets no. You can buy them at each rail station (office or ticket machine).
    Just indicate that you have the Swiss Half Fare Card (“CFF SBB – Halbtax“) either way.

Reservations are quite rare in Switzerland for regional trains and not something you need to worry about in March (low season except around the ski hills). I’ve never pre-bought tickets or mare reservations here.

If you want to buy them online though you can of course. See the retailers here.
    For each passenger, you need to select the Swiss Half Fare Card (“CFF SBB – Halbtax”) under “Loyalty & discount cards” in order to get the discounted prices.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 18:58:13 #874850

Thank you very much indeed.

You have made a manic anxious woman very happy today!

Shan xx

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 January 2018 at 4:29:14 #874851

Hi Shan,

If you have a smart phone it is really handy to use the SBB Mobile App to buy tickets. You can just show the conductor on the train the barcode on your screen.

You will of course need internet access to do the buying (wifi at hotel or dat SIM card) but you don’t need to be connected to show the store bar codes.

It is also super handy for checking timetables on the go.

If you install it now there is a demo mode which you can use to check out the features.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2018 at 8:30:11 #874852

Wow Thank you. That certainly is handy.

Shan

• The thread ‘Rail or car for travel in Jungfrau region in March’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.