About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Lyon-Zermatt-Interlaken-Montreux in September
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Lyon-Zermatt-Interlaken-Montreux in September

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Mohinudeen f
Mohinudeen f
8 posts
Nov 19, 2022 - 4:34 AM

Hi again

My wife and I have the following trips planned for September and wondering which travel pass/es would be the best to get,

Day 1 Lyon(France) to zermatt

Days 2 Zermatt (will go up the mountain)

Day 3 travel to interlaken, (possibly a boat ride)

day 4 up the mountains (from interlaken to jungfrau)

day 5 golden pass to Montreaux

day 6 Montreaux to Lyon (France)

thank you

Anna
Anna
3904 posts
expert &
Nov 19, 2022 - 8:39 AM in reply to Mohinudeen f

Hi Mohinudeen f,

Based on your plans, a 4- or 6-day Swiss Travel Pass might suit your itinerary.

The Swiss Travel Pass provides free travelling on public transport (including on the Golden Pass trains) and discounted travelling on mountain transportation. You can find further details here: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass

You can download a spreadsheet to calculate the travelling costs and choose the best railpass here: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

Last modified on Nov 19, 2022 - 8:41 AM by Anna
Mohinudeen f
Mohinudeen f
8 posts
Nov 19, 2022 - 10:56 AM in reply to Anna

Thanks for promptly providing the information.

Since I will be having an Euro rail pass for travel in France, would I be able to use it as an equivalent to the Swiss Travel Pass, or it would not be accepted everywhere in Switzerland?

Anna
Anna
3904 posts
expert &
Nov 19, 2022 - 6:10 PM in reply to Mohinudeen f

Hi Mohinudeen f,

The Eurail Global Pass is valid on most Swiss trains but might not provide discounts on all mountain transportations much like the Swiss Travel Pass. You can check the Eurail Global Pass validity here: www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass/validity

Regards,

Anna

1960man
1960man
4378 posts
expert
Nov 20, 2022 - 12:16 AM in reply to Mohinudeen f

Eurail Pass is generally (across all Europe not just Switzerland) aligned towards railway operators rather than tangential transport operators such as buses, cable cars and lake boats. This has the following effect on its validity in Switzerland:

It is valid on all the major rail links including non federal railway routes like BLS, MOB, MGB railways - this means that the famous tourist lines such as the Glacier Express route and the Golden Pass route are covered by Eurail. The Jungfrau railways are not free but are discounted. Exception: mountain transport in Zermatt is not covered by Eurail

What this means for your proposed itinerary if you used a Eurail Pass is as follows:

All main line rail travel (your days 1,3,5,6) would be 'free'

The Interlaken lake boats would be 'free' because they are operated by the BLS railway company

A trip (Day 2) beyond Interlaken into the Jungfrau area would cost full fare minus 25%

A trip (Day 4) above Zermatt would cost you full fare (no discount)

Mohinudeen f
Mohinudeen f
8 posts
Nov 20, 2022 - 6:56 AM in reply to 1960man

This is really good feedback back and information.

I guess, what we could do is travel from Lyon to Zermatt using the Euro rail pass then get a Swiss rail pass for the next next 4 days and then use the euro rail pass to go from Montreaux back to Lyon. 🤞

Arno
Arno
15693 posts
expert &
Nov 20, 2022 - 7:18 AM

Hi Mohinudeen f,

Note that the above conversation assumes you will have a Eurail Global Pass: www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass. If you only have a Eurail France Pass, you won't be able to travel all the way to Zermatt with it as it does not include Switzerland.

Mohinudeen f
Mohinudeen f
8 posts
Nov 20, 2022 - 10:04 AM in reply to Arno

Thanks for pointing that out to me Arno, very good point,.

I was wonder if it would be cheaper to just buy a normal ticket for the journey from Lyon to Zermatt which might probably workout cheaper than using a pass for that day.

Arno
Arno
15693 posts
expert &
Nov 20, 2022 - 1:51 PM in reply to Mohinudeen f

Hi Mohiduneen f,

A full-fare 2nd class ticket from Lyon to Zermatt would cost around CHF 120. If you'd have a pass covering the journey up to the border, e.g. a Eurail France Pass, you'd pay for the leg Geneva (at the French-Swiss border)-Zermatt . That would cost CHF 98. You may be able to get a cheaper Saver Day Pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/saverdaypass) or Supersaver ticket (https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy) but that's not guaranteed.

You can find prices in the Swiss timetable. This page explains how to do so: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable. Make sure to use standard, non-discounted fares to get a good comparison with the costs of a travel pass.

How to make a detailed pass comparison is explained here: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022