Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Rail pass for 3 country trip and Zermatt tips

Rail pass for 3 country trip and Zermatt tips

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Rlte 38
Rlte 38
2 posts
Mar 4, 2020 - 2:51 AM

Hi

We are planning a train trip through Austria, Switzerland and France in January 2021. I am a bit confused about rail passes as I have read the Global Eurail Pass covers travel in Switzerland - so does that mean I don't need a Swiss Rail Pass? Or maybe, I don't get a Eurail but do get a Swiss Rail Pass as train travel more expensive in Switzerland.

Whilst in Zermatt we hope to train up Gornergat. We are only there for 3 nights and have read that the weather can be bad, so I was after some bad weather activity options, we are interested in seeing the beauty that Switzerland has to offer, eating chocolate and just generally getting to know the place as best we can on our short visit.

Hoping to hear from you soon, thank you

Ildiko
Ildiko
988 posts
top member &
Mar 4, 2020 - 6:06 AM in reply to Rlte 38

Hi Rlte 38 and welcome to MySwissAlps,

yes, the Eurail Global Pass is valid in Switzerland, you can see the validity map here: www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass/validity.

The Swiss Travel Pass includes more trains and cable cars and also the city transport is free with it in many towns and cities: www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/validity.

If you already know your whole itinerary, I recommend using our calculation spreadsheet where you can compare the Swiss Travel Pass with the Eurail Global Pass and also the option of having both. This spreadsheet will help you to do the math: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

Read about activities in and around Zermatt: www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/activities. If it is very bad weather, you could visit Sion, Aigle, Leukerbad (thermalbad), Brig (www.myswissalps.com/brig).

It is very good, that you already think about the weather (www.myswissalps.com/weather). Weather in Switzerland can change in a minute - sometimes not even according to the forecasts (www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast). The forecasts are somewhat reliable for 2 to 3 days ahead of time. It's also worth to check the webcams on the mountains on your travel day.

I like the app of MeteoSwiss, it has great animation for clouds too. I always check it in the early morning, if I am planning to go on a mountain trip. It is good to know, that usually it is more clear in the morning than in the afternoon.

Ildiko

Also read:

Rlte 38
Rlte 38
2 posts
Mar 4, 2020 - 6:55 AM in reply to Ildiko

Thank you for your reply. I will go through all and I'm sure I will have more questions, so will talk again soon.

thanks again

Ildiko
Ildiko
988 posts
top member &
Mar 4, 2020 - 12:17 PM in reply to Rlte 38

Sure, do not hesitate to come back anytime if you have further questions or need advice. :)

Ildiko

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020