About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Rail pass for a month in Wengen in August
MySwissAlps features commercial and non-commercial links.

Rail pass for a month in Wengen in August

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mary R
Mary R
8 posts
Jun 23, 2021 - 6:42 PM

Hello,

Looks like our plans for a month in Wengen beginning middle of August will come to pass this year. We will fly into Zurich (from USA). Take train from Zurich to Lauterbrunnen and then up the mountain to Wengen. We intend to spend most of our time in Wengen hiking but may do a day trip to Lucerne or overnight to Zermatt.

From reading your web site info, I think the Half Fare Card would be best as other than the major trip to and from Zurich and perhaps to another area, we will use a lot of the small trains, lifts, gondolas as we go up and down the mountains for hiking.

1. Is the Half Fare Card best for our situation?

2. Do I need any additional regional pass (Bernese Oberland, etc)?

3. Do I purchase the Zurich to Lauterbrunnen ticket and Half Fare Card once we arrive at Zurich airport?

Thanks so much for your help and kudos to the moderators for all of the pandemic information they have provided in the past year plus all the great Swiss traveling tips.

Ildiko
Ildiko
1359 posts
top member &
Jun 23, 2021 - 8:11 PM in reply to Mary R

Hi Mary R,

thank you for your nice feedback and appreciation on the forum and MySwissAlps.com. :)

To choose a rail pass you should first know your itinerary then you can calculate the costs in each scenario so in the end you can compare the options you have. The calculation spreadsheet will help you to do the math, you can download it from here: www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

So really it depends on your itinerary, how many times you want to travel and where. Usually, travellers choose the Swiss Half Fare Card (www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard) or the Swiss Travel Pass (www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass). (Swiss Travel Pass can be purchased for 3, 4, 8 or 15 consecutive days, so in our case that is not the best solutions)

But if you stay only in the Jungfrau area (www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion) or in the bigger region called Bernese Oberland (www.myswissalps.com/berneseoberland) then the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland can be a good option for you.

Note, that if you have a valid Swiss Half Fare Card, then you can buy the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland with a discount (35% off).

In the case of the Swiss Half Fare Card, you can buy your discounted tickets in advance or shortly before traveling. Here are online options: www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerlandhalffare. You can best buy your rail pass in advance and quickly receive it as a digital pass:

You"ll find the validity maps on those pages too, under the label called "Where it's valid". Have a look at those too.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need help with the calculation spreadsheet or if you have further questions,

Ildiko

Last modified on Jun 24, 2021 - 4:42 AM by Annika

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Swiss Travel Pass promotion: 25% discount
Available until 11 December 2021. Book 11 months in advance. Free cancellation.
https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/#/en/home.

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2021