Rail pass options for a week in Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 15:31:46 #816983

We will be staying in Wengen for a week, and apparently there are 3 different rail passes that we can use: the SBB Travel Pass, the Berner Oberland regional pass, and the Jungfrau pass (well, also the SBB half-fare pass, but we’re not considering that one). It’s kinda confusing – do all of these cover the same things at the same rate for the various places we are likely to go to in this region? I’m mostly thinking about the various gondolas and cog-wheel trains – are these covered under one pass, and not under another?

We will also be in Luzern for 3 days, and Montrose for 4, but my main question is about the week in Wengen.

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 15:51:54 #889824

Hi Bpascal,

The passes all offer different coverage in the Wengen area (Jungfrau region).

You can see a PDF map of what each pass covers on our web pages here:
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/regionalpassbern eseoberland/validity
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrautravelpa ss/v alidity

You’ll want to look at your entire trips plans and itinerary before deciding on the best pass though. While the Jungfrau Travel Pass is usually best for a lot of travel in and around Wengen (only) you’ll want to consider the ticket costs for the rest of your trip in Switzerland as well (the Swiss Travel Pass covers most of the country for example).

Read more about choosing the best rail trip for your trip here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2018 at 23:11:58 #889825

Yes, thank you, I’ve seen these maps. However, I’ve never been to Switzerland, and it’s hard to come up with a specific itinerary to plug into the spreadsheet and make an informed decision. I’m hoping that someone on this forum has some experience that they can share that might help me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 8:33:27 #889826

Ah I see. I didn’t see you wanted itinerary help.

We’re happy to help with trip planning, but we don’t create itineraries here. We do list a lot of activities and scenic trips you can do in Switzerland and in the Jungfrau region on the website.

Also for better feedback from members on your trip plans, be sure to tell us what you’d like to do/see while here. IE Are you wanting to do a lot of hiking, or scenic trains trips. Perhaps boat cruises or museum vists?

The best thing is to look through the following pages to see what appeals to you and your travel partner(s).

Once you have decided on where you want to go feel free to post your thoughts / itinerary here and we would be happy to look it over and answer any further questions you have. Further, once you have a finalized itinerary, you can then look over the rail pass validity maps (which will make more sense for you) and decide which is best for your trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 9:06:10 #889827

myHi!

We had just finished our trip at grindelwald (June 25-30). 5 of us had 4-day Bernese Oberland regional pass supplemted with 2 different saver day passes (June 25 & 30) and the other 5 had 8- day Swiss Travel Pass. I noticed the following differences;

– if you want to go to Jungfraujoch with the BO pass it only costs $99 vs $160 with STP; whereas it’s free for Schilthorn with STP and it’s $40 for BO pass

– the scenic cogwheel ride from Lauterbrunnen to Murren is free with BO pass and it’s $40 with STP

I assume you will be in Switzerland for a total of 14 days and STP has a 15-day pass whereas BO only offers up to 8 days. Not sure if you want to combine different passes (BO pass, STP and saver day pass) but I think it will be too costly.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 9:35:56 #889828

You can actually get a 10 day BO pass which is great if you are just staying in the Jungfrau / Interlaken area

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2018 at 14:40:26 #889829

Hi Chloeysl1234,

You mean the cable car and train trip from Lauterbrunnen to Mürren via Grütschalp? That should only be about 10chf onw-way

• The thread ‘Rail pass options for a week in Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.