Rail pass recommendation for 5 nights with car

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 February 2017 at 16:59:49 #810727

My husband and I will be traveling through Switzerland by car staying in Appenzell one night, Lucerne 2 nights, Lauterbrunnen 2 nights and one night in Murtin on our way to Chamonix. Would you recommend a rail pass or just buy a ticket for each activity? If yes what kind? We are planning on hiking to Asher cliff restaurant by Ebenalp cable car around Appenzell. We also would like to go to Murren and whatever else we can do around Lauterbrunnen for 1 1/2 day. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 February 2017 at 19:34:04 #858674

Welcome to MySwissAlps Dianefamily!

Buying regular tickets will add up quickly. It may work, but you will need to do the math. A Swiss Half Fare Card is your best bet. It’s what most drivers buy. As you can see here you can print it at home.

I’m not sure which place you meant by Murtin, but it won’t change the above recommendation. I hope this helps. Feel free to post back if you need more assistance.

• The thread ‘Rail pass recommendation for 5 nights with car’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.