Swiss rail pass vs individual train tickets?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2019 at 20:39:57 #820059

We are family of 4 ( 3 adults 1 child) travelling to central Switzerland for 4 days with base in Interlaken or lauterbrunnen. I plan to take following 4 train trips

Joungfrou top of the europe, Golden pass panoramic from Zweismann to Montreux, Interlaken to Harder Kulm by funicular and Mt Pilatus from Lucern

Shall I buy Swiss rail pass, Swiss half fare card or Individual tix for each trip? Or any other pass? Which will be more economical?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 February 2019 at 22:11:19 #904787

Hello Jakay and Welcome to MySwissAlps

Top of the head guess would be Swiss Half Fare Card plus Swiss Family Card if your child is > 5 < 16.

To be sure you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

Jjtalmeida
    Participant
    4 posts
    23 February 2019 at 19:09:46 #904788

Hi Myswissalps team

Great blog with bigger helps to people that want make trips by train.

I’m newer here ( some dificul to make a regist to have account) congratulation Annika, Arno, Lucas, Maria & Steph that give me a hand to get inside this magnific forum.

My main question is: Star from Portugal -I allready buy tickets to fly and rest ( plane and hotel) i want go by fligh arrive in Roma, ( 22 april ) to see the pontifice and prossig at 24April by tren IC to Padova, and Venice 25 april, and go arrive by train Tirano ( Milan)-by afternoon, ~40€ and rest in Tirano to start a bewutifull trip Bernina Express from Tirano to Chur ( not the “panoramic) at 26 April -> I think the Bernina depart at ~14,00h (~ 2 PM) from Tirano.

arrived in Chur ~18,00h and i want go by tren to Zurich to rest on hotel .

departing soon at 27 april by tren to Italy -Lake Como, to lanch ther and prossig to Milan arriving by night and rest at hotel in Milan. Day 28 April to see Milan and fliying to Oporto Portugal. My home

Need advices about: Reservation seats Bernina Express ( or Regional train Tirano ->chur -??)

and as i came from Roma – Padua -Venice – Tirano ( by Milan) and after Zurich will go to Como and to Milan by train

Will be better I can purchase Half fare card for this hole cust tickets of trips, ?? It is Half Fare card valid on Italy and Swissland ?? Or other train card discont there will be??

Me and my wife has 60 years old. There will be some card for us, for 2 countries and few trips that is more advantageous ..??

Thanks by your advices.

Joaquim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2019 at 9:12:09 #904789

Hi Joaquim,

Can you please start a new thread for your questions? This thread is Jakay and you’ll get more help with your own thread topic.

Just click “post new thread” here: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rail and copy/past your post above.

Briefly, I will say that you must make reservations on the Bernina Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress/packages) and look here to help you pick the best rail pass: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

If you have further questions please start a new thread as I noted above. 🙂
    Thanks!

Jjtalmeida
    Participant
    4 posts
    24 February 2019 at 19:14:22 #904790

Hello Lucas

I’m sorry I did not open a new thread (I’m new to these forums -threads) but I thought that in this thread, my post asking what would be the most advantageous rail pass for my train travels, which I described in more detail, would fall into this theme. ” swiss rail pass or individual train tickets, “” put by Jakay “and your help – answers to my case would serve to other tourists in train with doubts, when reading the thread they were better informed. I thought .

I will open new tread

thank you

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass vs individual train tickets?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.