Rail pass calculations 10 days Alpstein and BO

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2019 at 22:25:12 #823534

Hello,

I did the worksheet but I am am not sure if I filled it in correctly. I had a hard time finding out if the Swiss Travel Pass covered some of the smaller cable cars in BO. When in doubt I made them 50% discount. My worksheet shows the BO 6 day pass would be best but I would like to have ticket-less travel for Zurich and the Alpstein as well. So the Swiss Travel Pass may be my best bet although I am paying a little more for the convenience of ticket-less travel, which I am okay with. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Note the tan/pink color are days when that pass is not valid.

Many thanks in advance,

Jill

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 August 2019 at 23:55:54 #920765

Hi Jill,

You may be using some half-fare prices in you full-fare costs. Wengen to Zurich for CHF33 sounds low to me. Or are you relying on getting a supersaver?

With the STP option you are going to have to buy tickets wherever the trips are discounted less than 100%.

Have you considered combining Swiss Half-Fare Card with BO Pass? You get 25% discount of the BO Pass which goes a fare way to covering the cost of the BO Pass. An 8-day BO Pass is only CHF30 more than a 6-day Pass.

If you get the SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) it is very easy to buy tickets, where needed, on the go.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2019 at 1:32:49 #920766

Thanks for catching that rock oyster. Yes it is CHF 84 wengen to zurich with no discount. I am pretty sure all the others are correct.

The half fare with the BO Pass sounds like a good deal. If my calculations are correct, it would be approximately CHF 536 for both. And I can do ticket-less travelling for the days in BO? I would only need to buy tickets for the travel in and out of zurich correct?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2019 at 1:34:24 #920767

Also, I plan to have luggage transferred from Appenzel to Kandersteg. Does the pass help with any savings there?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 August 2019 at 3:18:55 #920768

Hi Jill,

If my calculations are correct, it would be approximately CHF 536 for both.

Do you mean your overall trip costs or the pass costs? 6-day BO Pass with 1/2-fare = CHF355, 8-day CHF385.

I can do ticket-less travelling for the days in BO? I would only need to buy tickets for the travel in and out of zurich correct?

Pretty much. You may need to front up at the ticket counter for cable cars to get a free “entry card” or whatever they call them.

Passes don’t help with luggage transfers.

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 August 2019 at 5:15:58 #920769

Hi Jill!

Please refer to the pages below for correct prices:

Yes, you’ll enjoy ticketless traveling on all free lines indicated at http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/validity, apart from occasional free entry cards as mentioned by Rockoyster.

If your plans are pretty much fixed, I think this pass combination will work out quite well indeed. If you’d rather keep your plans open and flexible, being able to travel across the country if weather or other circumstances interfere with your plans, the Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) might be better.

I think we’ve been addressing luggage options before, but just to make sure, and for other readers of this thread, here’s some more information: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage. Luggage shipping costs are not dependent on (or discounted by) the type of ticket or pass one has.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2019 at 13:35:05 #920770

Rock Oyster – Yes, so it’s BO for CHF 385 at 25% off = 289, PLUS swiss half fare for CHF 120 equals a total of CHF 409 for both passes. Then there are some additional trains that I have to pay half fare on because they are not covered by the BO pass, so its around CHF 571 (recalculated).

Annika – thanks for the clarification. We are staying in the Alpstein and BO and don’t plan to go elsewhere even if weather changes. Fingers crossed! So I think the half fare and BO passes are the way to go!

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

Jill

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 August 2019 at 20:55:07 #920771

Hi Jill,

The 8-day BOP price is CHF350 not CHF385. Every bit helps. 😉

• The thread ‘Rail pass calculations 10 days Alpstein and BO’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.