Some rail passes aren”t valid in the winter?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 17:01:23 #813283

I see that some passes say it is not valid for winter, i.e. The jungfrau pass/ obernese region. Please advise why and what this means? For example does it mean things are not operating?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2017 at 22:21:15 #869877

Hi Joyandjohn and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I am not entirely sure myself why they put seasonal restrictions on those two passes. There is a winter alternative – the Jungfrau Region Hiking and Sledging Pass – read about that here. Everything would be operating except for some short periods of time for maintenance (October/November or March/April typically).

I think it has to do with it being the popular ski season in the area and less demand for a rail passes – most people stay put in one or two villages for the holiday in the winter and buy the Swiss Transfer Ticket to get in and out of Switzerland.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 September 2017 at 6:47:06 #869878

Thank you!

• The thread ‘Some rail passes aren”t valid in the winter?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.