Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card better

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2019 at 7:00:40 #822313

Hi all,

Been reading profusely over the weekend to wrap my head around this. This is roughly what my wife and I are planning to do while in Europe next month. I’ve put all this information into a spreadsheet and believe the half fare card works out slightly cheaper (approx $1000 aud) – unfortunately don’t have the details with me.

As we are in Switzerland for 5 days, I don’t think the 4 day pass would work, and would need to go the 5 day pass for approx $1224 total. I don’t believe the 3 day flex card and full fares for the local trips is comparable.

Have I missed something in my comparisons here? Do I gain anything for the addition price of the 8 day pass? The travel agent I’ve spoken to has suggested the travel pass vice the half fare card, but I’m just not sure.

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

14 Jul – travel Dornbirn to Murren. Train, long journey one way
    15 Jul – Tremmelbach Falls, Isenfluh. Train short journey 1 or 2 stops return.
    16 Jul – Schilthorn Peak. Various public transport return.
    17 Jul – Lauterbrunnen area. Nothing planned, possibly short train rides return.
    18 Jul – Lauterbrunnen to Munich – Train, long journey one way.
    19 Jul – me travel to Munich Airport, method unsure.

24 Jul – wife travel to Munich Airport, method unsure

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 June 2019 at 8:09:24 #915390

Hello Dan,

Look at a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass plus a Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass and bit.ly/2rkekat) for the extra day.

Swiss Half-fare Card is rarely effective for short stays.

Have you seen the spreadsheet at “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2019 at 8:46:00 #915391

Hi Rockoyster,

Thank you for your tip, that day saver pass is perfect. I’ll need to check the math again, but I think that works out slightly cheaper again (approx $900AUD). Likely my best option.

I used that spreadsheet yesterday, found it very helpful. I accidentally saved it to my laptop vice cloud storage so couldn’t check it today (not home for another few hours), hence the vague prices from memory listed above!

I feel the best option is to buy a day saver card as soon as possible being it’s cheaper, but I can wait until next month to buy the 4 day pass with no penalty. Does this sound accurate?

Daniel

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 June 2019 at 9:41:07 #915392

G’day Daniel,

Sounds like you are all over it. Yep – that’s accurate.

I highly recommend the SBB Mobile app.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card better’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.