Which rail passes are valid in Lugano?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 15:58:34 #815467

Hi, please confirm if rail passes and half price passes can be used for boats, buses and trains in Lugano. Also the timetable website is not showing prices or schedules for route Lugano to Bad Ragaz. Help please.

If I just need to travel from Lucerne to Lugano and Lugano to Bad Ragaz and maybe a couple of boat trips in Lugano do you think a point to point is more economical?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2018 at 16:36:56 #882933

Hi Yap,

You can download the maps to see what’s included:

I’m getting prices searching for Lugano to Bad Ragaz in the timetable: CHF 90 one way. I’m not sure why it doesn’t work for you.

Point to point tickets may indeed be best if that’s really all you’ll be doing (so no cable car trips, etc.). Perhaps a Super Saver Ticket for the longer transfers if you can commit yourself to one specific train (no flexibility with such a ticket). To be absolutely sure you’ll need to do the math: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 17:10:36 #882934

Please can you send me a link to check for prices and timetable for Super Saver Ticket. So, if I want to travel from Lucerne to Lugano on the 29th July, I can only buy the ticket 30 days before that? Would it be on a scenic train?

Im finding all the various rail passes and trains options very confusing.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2018 at 17:45:18 #882935

Hi Yap,

The timetable link in my previous post lets you check all prices of regular and Super Saver Tickets. Please read the instructions on that page first.

See the Super Saver Ticket link in my post for how these tickets work. They’re often for the quickest route, which may or may not be scenic. For full flexibility you need regular tickets, or a pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2018 at 19:17:42 #882936

Hi, so for example if I get the super saver ticket I’ll just pay for CHF 52 for the route Lugano to Bad Ragaz instead of CHF 90? Is it valid for all the routes as the rail pass? Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 April 2018 at 20:12:54 #882937

Hi Yap,

A Super Saver Ticket can indeed be much cheaper, but the price varies and availability is not guaranteed. If you saw CHF 52 then I assume it’s correct for a specific train. It is not a pass. It’s for one train only. If you miss that train you loose the ticket, so you need to plan carefully.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 2:03:04 #882938

Hi Yap,

>> Hi, so for example if I get the super saver ticket I’ll just pay for CHF 52 for the route Lugano to Bad Ragaz instead of CHF 90?

Your mention of CHF 52 leads me to suspect you are referring to the Saver Day Pass rather than a Supersaver ticket.

They are two different products with widely varying conditions.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2018 at 16:01:31 #882939

Hi Alpenrose, what’s the difference between Saver Day Pass and Supersaver ticket? So in my case which one is more suitable? Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 5:46:10 #882940

Hi Yap,

A Supersaver ticket can only be purchased online and only for a specific date and specific time (train). Therefore you can’t break your trip along the way.

A Saver Day Pass allows one day of unlimited traveling by all trains, buses, boats, city transport and a few mountain transport routes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2018 at 9:07:26 #882941

Hi, do I need a Swiss Half Fare Pass to be able to use the Saver Day Pass? I can buy the SDP at the train station the day I want to travel? Can I get a companion ticket for the SDP? Thanks

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 April 2018 at 9:13:00 #882942

Hi Yap,

Chantal already gave you the link that answers your Saver Day Pass questions. The Companion Ticket will work.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 19:23:56 #882943

Hi, is it too hectic to visit Lausanne, Vevey and Gruyere in a day from Geneva. What train should I take?

Any recommendations for another place I could visit together with Yvoire in a day? Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 0:41:56 #882944

Hi Yap,

>> Hi, is it too hectic to visit Lausanne, Vevey and Gruyere in a day from Geneva. What train should I take?

The key to answering this question is the use the Swiss Timetable to plan your trips and see how to get there and how long it will take. You are the best judge of whether or not it is too hectic for you. You have already been given the link to the timetable earlier in this thread.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Which rail passes are valid in Lugano?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.