Rail pass for 5 days in Lauterbrunnen?

• memorylane
    Participant
    11 posts
    11 January 2018 at 15:43:59 #814006

Hi Just booked for my family to camp in may 5 days (lauterbrunnen) looking at rail passes and getting really confused on the best option we are 2 adults 1 16yrs 1 8yrs 1 5 yrs

just looking at the local area and a couple of the attractions i was last here when i was 9 yrs didnt realise how pricey it its would like to the ice palace, murren, wengen , getting really confused with the different passes and junior rail cards etc.

any suggestions please

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 January 2018 at 17:04:17 #874040

Hi Memorylane and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you are just traveling around Lauterbrunnen (Jungfrau Region) then you probably only need the Jungfrau Travel Pass. The 2 older children can travel on the a Junior Travel Card (30chf each) and the youngest would be free entirely (as long as they are under 6 when you travel).

If you are looking at traveling in a bigger area/ more of Switzerland, have a look at the Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland (same comments for the children).

The Swiss Travel Pass (and the free Swiss Family Card for the 2 older kids) would cover virtually all of Switzerland if you need it.

Finally, the Swiss Half Fare Card (and Swiss Family Card again for the kids) will give you 50% off all tickets you buy anywhere in Switzerland.

In order to know which pass is the best for your family you must create your day-to-day itinerary and do the math to compare the full ticket costs to what they would cost (if anything) with the different rail passes. You can use our spreadsheet found on our web page: how to choose the best rail pass to help you with this task. 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2018 at 19:43:21 #874041

Hi Lucas,

Oldest child is 16 so not eligible for JTC or SFC. (:

memorylane
    Participant
    11 posts
    11 January 2018 at 19:49:10 #874042

hi this is where I am getting confused . one website says I can by a junior card for 16-25 one says 6-15 , one says I can get a family card for free but would have to buy 3 adult passes.

very confusing.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2018 at 20:08:45 #874043

You need 2 adult STP plus SFC (free) and 1 youth (16- 25) STP if you choose the Swiss Travel Pass option. The links Lucas provided give the definitive information.

memorylane
    Participant
    11 posts
    11 January 2018 at 20:18:55 #874044

is this the one that now includes piz Gloria but not the last bit up to the junfraujoch? presumably if we choose to have a day out to bern we could do this by train with this also? ( the mission to relive my childhood holiday is proving pricey ha ha ha )

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 January 2018 at 20:55:49 #874045

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass covers Schilthorn and trains to just about anywhere in the country. For Jungfraujoch adults get 25% off the trip from Wengen or Grindelwald to the top.

Switzerland is not a cheap place to visit. But to work out the most cost effective approach you should study the links that Lucas provided.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 January 2018 at 3:07:15 #874046

Hi Memorylane-

Glad you can return to Switzerland, It does tend to make you want to return.

<<“Hi Just booked for my family to camp in may 5 days (lauterbrunnen) looking at rail passes and getting really confused on the best option we are 2 adults 1 16yrs 1 8yrs 1 5 yrs

just looking at the local area and a couple of the attractions i was last here when i was 9 yrs didnt realise how pricey it its would like to the ice palace, murren, wengen , getting really confused with the different passes and junior rail cards etc.

any suggestions please”>>

You seem to be getting answers, so it must be me. However, I find your post to be very difficult to read, due to lack of punctuation, capitalization, and so , I find that I am –

…getting really confused with the different

questions you are asking…..

Could you help us help you by adding some punctuation and capitalization. please?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2018 at 7:09:45 #874047

Ooops yes. The 16 year old will need to get the Youth version of the Swiss Travel Pass -two many numbers and ages for my brain apparently!

If ordering the 3 Swiss Travel Passes (2 adult and 1 youth) you can add on the free Swiss Family Card for the middle child.

If you get either the Jungfrau Travel Pass or Regional Pass – Bernese Oberland you can buy 2 adults passes, and two youth versions.

The 5 year old needs no ticket or pass – always free.

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 5 days in Lauterbrunnen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.