Eurail Global Pass for Switzerland, or other pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2019 at 12:50:06 #822394

I am planning a trip next summer to Switzerland, Germany and France. I was considering the eurail global. I understand it doesn’t work in Switzerland. We will be in Switzerland for 5 days. Wengen, Lucerne and Zurich. We want to go to jungfrajoch along with mt titlis or Pilatus. What is the best rail pass to have while in Switzerland? Does having the eurail global pass give us any benefits in Switzerland? We will have an 81 and 63 year old along with a 56, 24, and 21 year old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    21 June 2019 at 16:44:09 #915763

Welcome to MySwissAlps, Pnwinter, and thanks for joining us!

The Eurail Global Pass does cover traveling in Switzerland. Its coverage is just not as good as some of the Swiss rail passes, especially in the area around Wengen, and that can make a difference. If you’ll be doing quite intensive traveling in Germany and France as well, a Eurail Global Pass may be a good fit overall. If you only need a few train transfers in those countries, you’re probably better off using a separate rail pass for Switzerland and additional tickets for France and Germany. Here are some links that help you to compare the options:

Does that get you started?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2019 at 18:33:23 #915764

Thank you! I appreciate the help! I’ll check out the links. The trains are so confusing to me! While in Wengen would it be feasible to go paragliding then hike the Lauterbrunen area to the falls all in one day? Then the next day go to jungfrajoch? The day we would do paragliding we would be coming in from Lucerne by train.

Annika
    7121 posts
    22 June 2019 at 10:07:58 #915765

Hi Pnwinter,

Don’t worry, you’re not the only one struggling to find the right rail pass. It can be challenging indeed. I hope you’re able to decide based on the links that I provided. If the task is too complex and if you don’t feel like calculating each detail, you could just opt for the Swiss Travel Pass. It offers the most convenient way of traveling.

Arriving from Lucerne, enjoying paragliding near Wengen and discovering the Lauterbrunnen valley all in one day might be a bit too ambitious. It depends on how long the paragliding takes, I guess. You can try to schedule flights for the early afternoon and then see if you’re still up for some more activities once you’re done. Please see myswissalps.com/activi ties/sports for options.

The Jungfraujoch is certainly doable as a day trip: myswissalps.com/jungfr aujoch.

• The thread ‘Eurail Global Pass for Switzerland, or other pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.