3 nights in Bernese Oberland – rail pass questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 17:23:21 #810795

My son and I are coming in July…taking train from Paris to Interlaken. Plan on spending 3 days / 2 nights in Bernese Oberland. Would like to experience the Jungfraujoch, take lift up to Shilthorn, as well as do some hiking. Here are my questions…any feedback or advice would be MUCH appreciated:

1. What type of rail pass is best both for convenience and economically?

2. Heard you need some sort of rail pass otherwise the price of Jungfraujoch is quite expensive?

3. Any other rail related info I will need to know about during our stay?

THANKS!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 18:25:14 #858956

Hi Tschultz20 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Here’s some answers to your questions.

1. You may find the Swiss Travel Pass (3 days) most valuable to you. Here is a page on validity areas (what is free and what is only discounted…ie Jungfraujoch is a 25% discount with the Swiss Travel Pass.
    2. Here is an information on Jungfraujoch, including prices – as I mentioned you get 25% off if you get the Swiss Travel Pass.
    3. Another option is the Swiss Half-Fare Card which gives you roughly 50% off most routes. We have another page on how to choose the best rail pass that could be helpful as well.
    4. Here are information pages on Schilthorn as well as other activities in the Interlaken area and Bernese Oberland.
    5. Finally, haha, here is the Swiss railways timetable for planning your excursions.

Let me know if you have further questions!

Lucas

• The thread ‘3 nights in Bernese Oberland – rail pass questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.