Rail ticket Zurich airport – Freiburg(Breisgau) Hb

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2016 at 14:24:03 #810195

Hi

I plan to travel from Zurich airport to Freiburg(Breisgau) Hb in Germany. I have the swiss travel pass. Do I only need to buy the German sector from Basel Bad to Freiburg(Breisgau) Hb? Can i buy it online from bahn.com?

Do i need to leave the train at Basel Bad to scan ticket or I just need to have it with me in case of checks. What if I missed the train that I bought the tickets for, can I just take the next available one?

So glad to come across this forum. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sy

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 October 2016 at 14:52:46 #856427

Hi Sy, welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

You got all of that right. The Swiss Travel Pass covers you to Basel Bad Bf (see the map), so no ticket required. You need a ticket from there to Freiburg. You can go to http://www.bahn.com//i/view/G BR/en/index.shtml, enter your trip and pick a ticket and train. Most trains allow you to optionally include a seat reservation. If you miss that train, your ticket is still valid for the next one, but the seat reservation isn’t. The only exception would be a ticket that explicitly states it is only valid for one train, but I don’t think they sell such tickets for Germany. You don’t need to get off the train in Basel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2016 at 10:19:27 #856428

Thanks Arno!

• The thread ‘Rail ticket Zurich airport – Freiburg(Breisgau) Hb’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.