By rail to Jungfraujoch from Brienz?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2017 at 14:54:37 #810596

Hi all…we are staying in Brienze for a few days in July 2017…we will have a rental car for our whole European vacation, but I understand it’s going to be easier to take train/bus from Brienze to Lauterbrunnen to get the train to Jungfrau…we are two adults (age 63 & 50)

Or drive to Interlaken Ost and train up via Lauterbrunnen and down via Grindenwald?

What is the cost for the trip to “the top of the world”???

Do I need a Rail Pass to make this a less expensive venture and if so, which pass…it’s quite confusing…

What’s my best plan of action to make this trip, and is this particular trip a Full Day trip? How many total hours estimated??

Looking for advise from anyone willing to give!

Thanks so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    17 January 2017 at 19:07:16 #858146

Hi chilejack,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Brienz is a nice little town on the lake with great views, I’m sure you’ll have a good time there. A lot of information about the Jungfraujoch day trip can be found here: myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch.

I’d recommend to either park in Interlaken Ost or simply take the train all the way from Brienz and avoid paid parking. I would personally choose the second option. You can park in other villages too but that would make it difficult to do the full round trip as explained on the page I referred to.

Count on about CHF 210 p.p. from Interlaken if you don’t have a rail pass. Which pass to get depends on all of the day trips you intend to do during your entire stay in Switzerland. Most drivers choose the Swiss Half Fare Card, for 50% off of all tickets, but there are other options as well.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2017 at 13:32:39 #858147

Thank you, Arno…we will just need rail pass for this one day journey to Jungfrau…the other few days we are in Switzerland will all be travel with our rental car…

The cost of the Rail Passes are quite high…I’ve done a lot of the research on your suggestion and am looking for the least expensive way to visit Jungfrau for just the one day…

what do you know about the Interrail One Country pass? Would that work from us from Brienz to Jungfrau and back? It’s a good bit less expensive than other options I can find…

I’m open to all suggestions and any advise is appreciated!!

Regards, Jack

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 January 2017 at 14:00:38 #858148

You’re welcome Jack!

Note that what’s called “rail passes” are actually public transport passes. If you don’t have one of these you will pay the full price for boat trips, cableways, cogwheel trains, funiculars, etc. A car won’t get you to the peaks, nor on the lakes, so most drivers do buy a rail pass to save money on day trips. Be sure to check our car section for more details.

The best pass depends on your plans though. If you have not planned any other excursions, not buying a pass could be best. In that case there is a discounted ticket to the Jungfraujoch for early morning travelers that saves a bit of money. You can do the math to be sure. The Swiss Half Fare Card, the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland and the Jungfrau Travel Pass are worth looking into. But the Swiss Half Fare Card is very likely to be your best option, as it almost pays for itself just by doing that one trip to Jungfraujoch. An Interrail Pass is not a good choice as it’s geared to long train trips. There are no passes that include Jungfraujoch for free.

The above links provide lots of further details. Just let us know if you have any questions left!

• The thread ‘By rail to Jungfraujoch from Brienz?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.