10 days, 4 in Zermatt to ski - rail pass options?

10 days, 4 in Zermatt to ski - rail pass options?

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
troydyer
troydyer
2 posts
Nov 18, 2017 - 4:27 PM

Hi there,

This is my first time to Switzerland and I would like to ask for some travel advice.

I am arriving in Zurich (at end of this month) and will be heading to Zermatt to ski for 4 days. Following that my route of travel is to head to Lausanne--> Interlaken (Jangfraujoch)--> Bern--> Lucerne for 6 days of sightseeing and then off to Milan where I fly back home.

(1) What is the most appropriate train ticket I should get for this trip? Based on what I read here I think this should be the 8-day Swiss Travel Flexible Card? Does it card also include my first day travel from Zurich airport to Zermatt?

(2) What kind of a train ticket do I need to purchase from my trip from Lucerne to Milan?

Appreciate your advice and other feedback / suggestions on my above travel route. Many thanks!

Lucas
Lucas
4950 posts
expert &
Nov 18, 2017 - 7:02 PM in reply to troydyer

Hi Troydyer and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. I would look at the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass Flex or the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass (only 38chf more) and then every day is covered... though you may not use it in Zermatt.
    You pick the dates of use for either pass (either consecutive or not) so they can be used on your first day of travel from Zurich airport if you want.

2. If you have a rail pass to use on your last day, then to Milan then you only need to buy a ticket from the Swiss/Italian border town to Milan. The direct trains from Luzern would normally travel via Chiasso so you only need a ticket from then on to Milan.

With your current schedule I would suggest going to Zermatt last as it is closer to the Italian border and a little less back & forth on the trains for you.

Zurich --> Bern--> Lucerne--> Interlaken/Jungfraujoch-->Lausanne-->Zermatt. Just a thought, not sure if you have pre-booked hotels etc or not. Either way, use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out all your trips.

troydyer
troydyer
2 posts
Nov 21, 2017 - 7:55 AM in reply to Lucas

Dear Lucas,

Thank you so much for your helpful advice! Much appreciated!

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018