Which train ticket for Zurich – Montreux – Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2018 at 16:50:35 #814193

Taking river cruise in August. Flying into Zurich would like to take Golden Pass train through Lucern to Montreux.

(1) Do I buy multiple tickets or does one ticket cover Lucern to Montreux?

(2) What is best option to return to Basel for River Cruise after arrival in Montreux?

(3) Do I need an overnight in Montreux?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2018 at 0:50:26 #875373

Hi ballam, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> Taking river cruise in August. Flying into Zurich would like to take Golden Pass train through Lucern to Montreux. Do I buy multiple tickets or does one ticket cover Lucern to Montreux?

One ticket will suffice if you are doing the trip in one day, or one ticket for each day if you are doing it over 2 days. You might find that a Saver Day Pass is the most economical option for this trip if you do it all in a single day, and possibly 2 Saver Day Passes would still be the best option for a 2-day trip – but you will need to do the sums to know for sure.

http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details

http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/saver-day-pass.html

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

>> What is best option to return to Basel for River Cruise after arrival in Montreux?

The Swiss Timetable will give you the fastest connection from Montreux to Basel:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

>> Do I need an overnight in Montreux?

The trip will take about 9 to 9.5 hours non-stop, and could be done in one day if that were your preference.

• For a one-day trip, put the following search terms into the Swiss Timetable:

From Zürich To Basel

via Luzern

via Meiringen

via Zweisimmen

via Montreux

• For a two-day trip, with an overnight in Montreux, use the following:

Day 1

From Zürich To Montreux

via Luzern

via Meiringen

via Zweisimmen

Day 2

From Montreux To Basel

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2018 at 22:19:04 #875374

Thank you very much for the information.

ballam1

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2018 at 22:59:13 #875375

I want to stay a night in Luzern and then take the Golden Pass train to Montreux via Meiringen via Zweisimmen.

Do I change trains at either of these towns (Meiringen, Zweismmen) on the way to Montreux?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2018 at 2:27:07 #875376

>> I want to stay a night in Luzern and then take the Golden Pass train to Montreux via Meiringen via Zweisimmen. Do I change trains at either of these towns (Meiringen, Zweismmen) on the way to Montreux?

On the Golden Pass route between Luzern and Montreux, you change trains at Interlaken Ost and Zweisimmen. Depending on the connection you choose, you might also change trains at Spiez.

When you do a timetable search, it will show you where you need to change trains, and also provide you with the platform numbers on which your train will arrive, and from which your next train will depart.

You don’t have to change trains at Meiringen. Putting via Meiringen into a timetable search just ensures that the timetable brings up the Golden Pass route (rather than the fastest route) when starting from a point before Luzern (e.g. Zürich, as in your original post).

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Which train ticket for Zurich – Montreux – Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.