Rail travel times from Interlaken

• Cowtown
    Participant
    7 posts
    16 June 2018 at 18:41:20 #816682

Can you tell me the approximate total time, one-way, for rail travel (and the number of trains we would need to take) from Interlaken to the following areas and cities:

1) Zermatt

2) Basel

3) Lucerne

4) Schilthorn

5) Crissier

in any of these routes, would you recommend travel by car instead of train? Our travel dates are July 3rd to July 9th.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2018 at 22:47:41 #888467

You can find this information for yourself using the online rail timetable, but roughly:

Zermatt

minimum journey about 2 hours; minimum of 3 different trains

2) Basel

about 2 hours – direct IC train – no changes

3) Lucerne

Direct ZB railway train (Luzern – Interlaken Express) – no changes – just under 2 hours

4) Schilthorn

about 1.5 hours – various options via the Lauterbrunnen valley

5) Crissier

I assume this is the Lausanne Crissier in which case around 2h50 min, min 3 changes

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2018 at 2:55:42 #888468

Hi Cowtown, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Here is a link to the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Use the one on the right, with the red SBB logo, and for best results read the instructions first.

Crissier is only accessible by bus. To find the closest bus stop to your destination in Crissier, look up the address in Google Maps, then zoom in to find nearby bus stops.

If you hover the mouse over the bus stop logo (or tap it on a hand-held device), it will give you details about the official name of the stop, and the number/s of the bus routes that stop there. You can then use that information in the official Swiss Timetable to find out how to get there, and to plan trips to places you plan to visit from there.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2018 at 5:59:02 #888469

Hi Cowtown,

Alpenrose’s timetable link will show you the travel times and train connections needed. Also have a look at our car vs train web page for our thoughts on that: https://www.myswissalp s.com/carversustrain

9/10 trains are best we think!

Cowtown
    Participant
    7 posts
    17 June 2018 at 15:03:41 #888470

Thank you all for your assistance. I had read the car vs rail forum on myswissalps.com before and With your additional information, am leaning toward the STP and using the trains. Would you suggest a car to save time or stick to the efficient trains?

I was debating using a rental car to see if I could save some travel time using a car instead of train. We will be staying in interlaken from July 3rd to July 9th and wanted to see Lucerne, Zermatt, Schilthorn and have planned a lunch at Cheval Blanc in Basel. We have decided not to travel to Crissier based on the information on your posts.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2018 at 17:34:09 #888471

For the Interlaken region trains make the most sense I think – and much more comfortable to just sit and relax. 🙂

Cowtown
    Participant
    7 posts
    20 June 2018 at 17:35:13 #888472

I’m not sure where I saw this but I understand that on certain trains (panorama trains for instance), you have to make an additional reservation. For example, from Interlaken to Lucerne and a specific portion of the trip from Interlaken to Jungfraujoch.

How do you make these reservations and how would one find out, in advance, which routes require a reservation?

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 June 2018 at 18:19:48 #888473

Hi Cowtown,

There are only a few trains in Switzerland that require a reservation. The ones you mentioned offer it as an option. Please find at all explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations.

• The thread ‘Rail travel times from Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.