Rail travel Zurich-Zermatt-St.Moritz-Landwasser

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2017 at 6:16:53 #812604

hi,

im visiting switzetland from aug 12 to 19. I want to travel indepedently, can i use swiss pass from zurich airport to zermatt ( 2 night) – stmorits (1 night), tirano n lugano (1 night),back to zurich (3 nights), which route i will take if i want to see landeasser viaduct and brusio viaduct, how much will i pay for gornergrat train amd glacier express, bernina express.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2017 at 3:34:59 #866738

Hi Glenna, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> can i use swiss pass from zurich airport to zermatt ( 2 night) – stmorits (1 night), tirano n lugano (1 night),back to zurich (3 nights)

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass covers travel between Zürich Airport and Zermatt, Zermatt and St Moritz, St Moritz and Lugano via Tirano, and back to Zürich from Lugano.

You can download a map from the link below, showing what is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

As explained in the legend on the map, red lines are trains, yellow lines are buses, black lines are cable cars, white lines are boats. Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted. Discounts are mostly 50%, but only 25% for transport where you see the number “1” inside circle near the dotted line. There are a few grey lines on the map as well, which indicate transport that is not covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

>> which route i will take if i want to see landeasser viaduct and brusio viaduct

Both the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express travel across the Landwasser Viadukt while travelling between Chur and Filisur.

The Bernina Express travels across the Brusio Circular Viaduct between Le Prese and Tirano.

>> how much will i pay for gornergrat train amd glacier express, bernina express.

Fares for the Gornergrat railway are here:

http://www.gornergratbahn.ch/ en/summer/railway-information/prices/

With your Swiss Travel Pass, you will get 50% discount on the Gornergrat railway and other mountain transport in Zermatt.

Travel on the Glacier Express and Bernina Express is free with the Swiss Travel Pass, but seat reservations are compulsory at additional cost. From Zermatt to St Moritz, a reservation costs CHF 33 per passenger. On the Bernina Express between St Moritz and Lugano, the reservation fee is CHF 14.

Read the following pages for more useful information:

http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 July 2017 at 5:15:31 #866739

Hi Glenna,

Alpenrose has given you some great information . . . and if you really want to overdose on panoramic trips you could include the Gotthard Panorama Express between Lugano and Luzern as part of your return back to Zurich. See http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 10:45:56 #866740

Hi, thanks for your reply. As a follow up question, can i purchase the swiss rail pass on my arrival at zurich airport including the seat reservation for glacier & bernina express. Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 13:28:46 #866741

Hi, may i ask again. Is it possible to get the train early morning from zurich to zermat and back to zurich in the after noon? .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 July 2017 at 15:12:14 #866742

Hi Glenna21,

Yes, you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass (and reservations) at the Zurich airport if you wish – or online here (easier and quicker) as well for the rail pass and here for the Glacier Express reservations and Bernina Express reservations.

You can take a train to Zermatt and return to Zurich in one day….but it is a very long day (close to 3.5 hours each way) but that is up to you. Use the Swiss railways timetable here to help plan your trips.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 6:33:57 #866743

Hi Lucas,

if i travel from zurich-chur- tirano, by BE, which is more practical to save time/day, go back to chur- zurich to get to zermat on the following day, or any train that will take me to zermat from tirano , without spending night in st moritz. Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 12:21:49 #866744

Hi GLenna21,

It isn’t realistic to try and do Zurich – Chur – Tirano – Zermatt in one day (did I understand correctly?)

If you want to stay in Switzerland, rather than Italy, to take advantage of the Swiss Travel Pass, I would head to Chur for an overnight and take the Glacier Express or a regional train to Zermatt from there.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to try different route options and see what is acceptable to you.

It is quite awkward, as you are seeing, to get from Tirano to Zermatt due to Swiss geography!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 14:14:55 #866745

Hi. Lucas,

Day 1 i mean zurich- chur- tirano. ( overnight tirano or lugano?) to experience landwasser and brusio viaduct

Day 2 tirano to zermatt overnight in zermat

Day 3 Zermat to zurich

is it pissible to do this or need to spend another day in st morits

Thanks for your help

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2017 at 16:00:27 #866746

Hi lucas,

my objective is to experience landwasser and brusio viaduct by bernina express and see the matenhorn from gornegrat train😎. And i was thinking if 3 or 4 days is enough for these

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2017 at 0:37:11 #866747

Hi Glenna,

>> Day 1 i mean zurich- chur- tirano. ( overnight tirano or lugano?) to experience landwasser and brusio viaduct

You will need to make an early start from Zürich, as the Bernina Express leaves Chur at 8:32.

I would suggest spending the night in Lugano, which is a more scenic and interesting destination than Tirano. That means continuing on the Bernina Express bus from Tirano to Lugano on Day 1.

>> Day 2 tirano to zermatt overnight in zermat

I will assume you are travelling Lugano-Zermatt on this day. There are two good routes to consider:

1. Lugano-Bellinzona-Göschenen-Andermatt-Visp-Zermatt (6-7 hours)

The sector Andermatt-Zermatt is part of the Glacier Express route, so you have the option of choosing connections that include the Glacier Express (direct Andermatt-Zermatt), or travelling the same route on regional trains (change of train required at Visp). If you choose the Glacier Express, a reservation is compulsory at additional cost, and you might have longer to wait between connections at Göschenen and Andermatt.

2. Lugano-Giubiasco-Locarno-Domodossola-Brig-Zermatt (about 5.5 hours)

This route includes the scenic Centovalli Railway between Locarno and Domodossola. There is sometimes a small surcharge of CHF 1.50 or 1,50 Euro, which is collected on board by the conductor in Centovalli trains that have panoramic windows. Although this route travels partly through Italy, it is covered in full by the Swiss Travel Pass.

The timetable will also bring up a route from Lugano to Zermatt that goes through Milano, but I would avoid that one if you want your travel to be covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

All these options will come up in the Swiss Timetable if you search for connections from Lugano to Zermatt, so you can choose the connections that suit you best regarding time of departure, preferred route, and acceptable time to wait between connections:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

>> Day 3 Zermat to zurich is it pissible to do this or need to spend another day in st morits

If you want to see the Gornergrat, you will most likely need to spend a minimum of 2 nights in Zermatt, and travel to Zürich on Day 4.

You can travel from Zermatt to Zürich without going back to St Moritz, if that is what you are asking. For a more scenic route, put “Kandersteg” into the “via” field when you do the timetable search for connections from Zermatt to Zürich.

>> back to zurich (3 nights)

Do you have a particular reason for wanting to spend so much time in Zürich? It is the least interesting of your destinations in my opinion.

If I were you, I would spend only the last night in Zürich (and first night if necessary because of your arrival time in Zürich), and add extra nights to Zermatt and/or Lugano, which are both beautiful destinations with plenty of sightseeing opportunities.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt

http://www.luganoturismo.ch/e n

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 July 2017 at 5:21:17 #866748

Hi Glenna,

Alpenrose has, as he always does, provided some excellent advice. Picking the widely-spaced attractions of Gornergrat and the Brusio Viaduct as two things you must do means that you will inevitably be doing some long train journeys.Perhaps if we knew what times you are arriving and departing Zurich airport we may be able to offer some better guidance on how to tailor your itinerary. It may well be better to do the trip clockwise rather than anti-clockwise.

With the train network in Switzerland there are always many permutations.

You say one of your goals is to experience the Landwasser Viaduct. Please be aware that you don’t get to “experience” it for very long. I’m not trying to put you off – the Bernina Express trip is a wonderfully scenic journey. See my trip report at myswissalps.com/forum/ topic/the-reluctant-travellers-swiss-adventure-part4.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 10:05:16 #866749

Hi,

what do you mean clockwise?

im arriving zurich aug 13 at 13:00 hour and departing from zurich on aug 21 19:00 hour.

please can you advise if this itineraries are okay and covered by swiss rail pass including be and ge.

aug 13-15 lucerne

aug 16-17 zermat

aug18 st morits

aug 19 1st morits- tirano- lugano

aug 20 lugano- lucerne

aug 21 lucerne- doha/ flight

i havent bought the swiss pass, can i i buy it at zurich airport

thanks

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 July 2017 at 10:11:32 #866750

By clockwise I meant you could go from Zurich to say Chur or St Moritz and then on to Lugano rather than the other way round.

You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass at Zurich Airport but it is probably better to buy on- line and print at home. Then you won’t have to worry about joining a queue.

Options for buying the pass on line are listed here http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 12:11:50 #866751

Hi, thanks for tour reply.

is it pra ctical to get the 15 days swiss travel pass than the 8 day pass then point to point ticket on the 9th day ( getting back to airport for departure)

or still cheaper 8 days + point to point for the 9th day

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 July 2017 at 15:54:15 #866752

For an 8 day/9 night trip I would expect the 8 day Swiss Travel Pass plus point to point tickets would be the most economical for you. Pick either the first day or last day for the point to point tickets (whichever is cheaper).
    If your last day consists of going from Zurich to the Zurich airport the point to point ticket will be about 8CHF

Lucas

• The thread ‘Rail travel Zurich-Zermatt-St.Moritz-Landwasser’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.