Scenic train ride Basel to Montreux with luggage

• Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    11 October 2018 at 12:58:15 #818658

Hello,

What is the most scenic train route from Basel to Montreux? We will be toting luggage so the fewer transfers the better.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 17:01:22 #897751

Hi Emie,

The quickest options is with changes in Bern and Lausanne and it is a nice trip – I think all train trips are quite scenic in Switzerland.:)

The most popular scenic route would be the Golden Pass route: http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

The full trip would have you travel to Lucerne then Interlaken then Zweisimmen and finally Montreux (3 changes and about 1.5/2 hours longer).

You could skip Interlaken and travel Basel – Bern – Zweisimmen – Montreux as well. 2 train changes but the section between Zweisimmen and Montreux can be on panoramic trains and is considered the most scenic section of the Golden Pass route.

Lots of options. 🙂 Always at least 2 changes and anywhere from 2.5 to 5 hours in duration.
    You can play with different options to see what works best for you on your travel date and preferred time here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 October 2018 at 23:32:53 #897752

As we say in nearly all reponses in this forum about ‘scenic’ rides, Nearly All train rides in Switzerland are scenic. When travelling with luggage it is usually best to save ‘pure scenic’ train rides until you are at your destination and can leave you heavy luggage in your accomodation.

The standard route Basel – Montreux is Basel – Bern; Bern – Lausanne; Lausanne – Montreux

Basel – Olten cuts through the Jura mountains (but is quite a short trip) then it is mainly flat on high speed line to Bern. Bern – Lausanne is scenic, the line winds through classic Swiss agricultural land (with distant views of the Alps as well on a good day). About 20 minutes before arriving in Lausanne, make sure you sit on the left hand side in the direction of travel so that you get the view across the vineyards and lake as you descend into Lausanne.

(1960 man – traveller throughout Switzerland for 58 years)

Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    20 October 2018 at 8:46:13 #897753

Hello,

We will be carrying two large-ish rolling pieces of luggage. Is there any reason to be concerned about taking these on the trains? Is storage easily available? We won’t have time to have them shipped.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 October 2018 at 14:55:23 #897754

It shouldn’t be any trouble at all. There are train travel tips, including taking your luggage on the train, on our page here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical

Danielsan
    Participant
    628 posts
    20 October 2018 at 23:45:49 #897755

Hi Emie,

I spent two weeks last month strictly on trains. I had no problem at all. I had a nap-sack, that went pretty much everywhere I did, and one pretty big bag with a handle and wheels that could be prohibitive at times, but storing it on the train was never a problem. Either on the floor, between the seat-backs, some had over head storage, and nearly all had storage areas near the doors. I was alone and had no problem, if you are traveling with more than one person you have that much less to worry about if you have to use the WC, as one can always keep an eye on things. Traveling alone, whenever I had to do this, I always did so when between stations. Nearly all stations (at least the ones I was on) have both stairs and ramps to get between tracks for transferring. You should be fine. Traveling by train gives one a great opportunity see things from a totally different perspective also. Happy trails, I hope you have a great trip.

Danielsan

Emie
    Participant
    19 posts
    21 October 2018 at 7:24:48 #897756

Thank you for the detailed information. We feel much more at ease now!

• The thread ‘Scenic train ride Basel to Montreux with luggage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.