RailEurope chat recommends booking via call center

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2017 at 20:37:11 #811685

After several unsuccessful attempts to book train travel using Swiss Travel Pass for part of the trip– Lugano to Venice on 3 June–I had an online chat with a RailEurope agent who told me that to do that “requires confirmation through the RailEurope call center . . . [due to] a change in the booking system.”

My question: is that accurate? For several reasons, I would rather book online than use an 800 number. What are our options? Thanks for any clarification.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 May 2017 at 6:38:26 #862819

Hi JRoger,

For some reason Lugano to Venice tickets for Swiss Travel Pass holders causes an issue on their website at the moment. But you can book the ticket from Chiasso (Swiss border) to Venice online without a problem. And that’s actually all you need, because your Swiss Travel Pass covers the Lugano to Chiasso leg. So price wise there’s no difference.

So, you can go to http://www.raileurope.com/eur opean-trains/trenitalia/how-to-book.html, fill out Chiasso to Venice for your travel date, and select No under “Are you traveling with a rail pass?”. Just board the train in Lugano as planned and stay seated in Chiasso.

By the way, you’re not restricted to RailEurope. You’ll find a list of ticket retailers on myswissalps.com/traint ickets/italy/price. The others don’t take the Swiss Travel Pass into account either, so you’ll have to book from the border to Venice there as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2017 at 18:07:12 #862820

Merci vilmal — with your help we were able to book desired travel both Lugano to Venice and Venice to Zurich.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 May 2017 at 2:20:33 #862821

Hi JRoger-

Your Swiss German is nice.

Since Arno and Annika are Dutch, you might also say

“Hartelijk bedankt”

😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘RailEurope chat recommends booking via call center’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.