4 day Swiss itinerary rail questions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 November 2018 at 18:17:50 #818911

Good day!

I was hoping to get some of your expert opinions/answers on my questions and itinerary.

My wife and I decided to visit Europe in early December to take advantage of the Norwegian Air deals going into Paris. We will be spending some time in Paris and Nice before making our way to Switzerland and then onwards into Munich for our flight out.

I have been doing some research and for now I have decided to make Bern our home base for 3 days and 4 nights (arrive evening of December 8th-depart on 12th). Chose Bern because it was relatively close to La Chaux-de-Fonds for the International Watch Museum (my guilty pleasure) as well as close enough for a day trip out to Lucerne as well. My wife also wanted to do, if possible, a train ride from Chur to St. Moritz for the views but not necessarily to go all the way to down to Tirano though that’s not out of the question.

Question 1: I couldn’t find a timetable for the BEX past the 9th of December. As a result, should I plan to take the regional trains down to St. Moritz? It seems that the views are the same and it does allow for flexiblity of getting off multiple stops.

Question 2: Rather than coming back up to Bern, I was thinking of possibly staying in St. Moritz for that last evening before going back up to Zurich to catch our train up to Munich. Could anyoone advise?

Question 3: Upon doing the research advised on the website, it seems that we aren’t going to be travelling enough to make a pass worthwhile but was wondering if there was anything I missed or should still consider.

Thank you all for your time and responses in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2018 at 0:32:58 #898901

The Albula railway (Chur – St Moritz), and Bernina railway (St Moritz – Tirano) aren’t a good fit with a base of Bern. Why not leave the South East of Switzerland until another holiday instead of trying to cram everything in, which can be less enjoyable (58 years experience of Swiss and world touring speaking here…).

By the way the only reason you can’t find a BEX timetable is because the Europe-wide annual timetable change takes place this year on 8/9 December (8 December being the last day of the current 2018 timetable)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2018 at 5:54:52 #898902

Thank you so much for the info 1960man!

We are going to reconsider the itinerary and then come back for your expertise. Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 November 2018 at 8:56:18 #898903

Hi Jyoon and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The Bernina Express is operating and on the schedule beyond Dec.8. The reason you can’t find it is it doesn’t stop in St. Moritz (nearby Pontresina). You can find an 08:32 departure from Chur if searching here to Tirano: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It is however very simple to take a regional train on that route if you decide to try and do it.And as you note better flexibilty with regional trains – but a lot to fit in on your trip.

I’d think at least a Swiss Half Fare Card would save you money, if not a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass. It will certainly be very convenient if nothing else.

Once you’ve set your itinerary you will be able to compare costs and figure out which pass (if any) saves you money. But you must set your daily itinerary first. Check out our page here for help: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

• The thread ‘4 day Swiss itinerary rail questions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.