Railpass for Munich-Switzerland-Milan-Rome

• soysauce
    Participant
    2 posts
    5 June 2022 at 16:52:56 #827418

Hi guys,

So so sorry, I am still finding everything so confusing.

I am planning a trip to Switzerland, coming from Munich from 19th – 30th June 2022.

Which i will be taking the train in from Munich (19th) -> Zurich (19th day trip)-> Interlaken (20th–22nd) -> Lucerne (23rd day trip) -> Zermatt (24-26th) -> Milan (26th) -> Rome (30th).

(However if there are better suggestions for the route, please chip in as well!)

May I know what passes shall I get for these places?

I have narrowed down to getting the Jungfrau pass (Top of the world) and either the Swiss half fare card or the Eurorail card (Flexi pass 7 days in a month).

Itinerary for the 7 days: (Home based at Interlaken)

Day 1 – Day trip to Lucerne, visiting city centre in the morning and Mount Riji in the afternoon.

Day 2 – Lake Brienz, Iseltwald, and Lake Thun.

Day 3 – Harder Klum, Grinderwald, Jungfrau top of the world.

Day 4 – Lauterbrannun

Day 5 – Morning train to Zermatt (is this included in the Eurorail), Zermatt city centre tour.

Day 6 – Zermatt to Gornegrat in the morning, 5 lake walk in the afternoon.

Day 7 – Train from Tasch to Visp/Berg to Domossola and to Milan.

May I please get some advice on which passes I should get to effective save cost? I’ve been quite overwhelmed by the number of passes and prices. hahaha

Sorry for the long thread and appreciate all the help I can get!

Thank you very much! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 June 2022 at 18:25:23 #942929

HI soysauce, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Don’t be sorry. Picking the right pass can be challenging and we’re here to help!

There’s only one way to know for sure which pass is most economical, and that’s making a detailed list of plans and calculate your options as explained here: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. So I’ll give some suggestions, but you’ll have to crunch the numbers if you want absolute certainty.

A Eurail Global Pass for Germany, Switzerland and Italy could certainly work: https://www.myswissalps.com/eurailglobalpass. Some thoughts:

Looking at your plans, it could be better to get a rail pass specifically for the Swiss part of your plans.

I know this still isn’t a definitive answer, but I hope it helps you to choose a few options to compare price-wise.

soysauce
    Participant
    2 posts
    5 June 2022 at 19:40:53 #942930

Hi Arno,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry, do you know where I can extensively find all the ticket prices for funiculars and gondolars?

And also, would the Jungfrau top of the world pass complement the swiss half fare pass instead? if i change my itinerary to days 2,3,4 staying in the jungfrau region?

Sorry for the trouble.

Thank you very much.

Anna
    6362 posts
    6 June 2022 at 8:09:07 #942931

Hi soysauce,

You can find the prices of gondolas, funiculars and other modes of mountain transportation from the destination links.

At the bottom of each page, you’ll find the links to each of the destination’s official website if you need further information.

And yes, I think combining the Swiss Half Fare Card with the Jungfrau Travel Pass is a good option.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 June 2022 at 10:27:28 #942932

Hi soysauce,

In addition to the links provided by Anna: prices for quite some mountain trips can also be found in the general Swiss timetable. The header “How to find ticket prices (advanced timetable)” at https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable explains how to do this. Make sure to spell departure and destination names correctly, otherwise the timetable may not understand what you’re looking for.

Swissophile
    Participant
    26 posts
    11 June 2022 at 7:52:08 #942933

Hello, have you seen there is a new offer in Germany covering all local and regional travel for just 9 euros for a whole month. It applies to June, July and August. Good luck with your trip.

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 June 2022 at 11:28:13 #942934

Thanks Gladysknight! That’s indeed a generous offer in Germany, and I think it’s meant as a way to compensate travelers for the rising costs of fuel and car traveling.

• The thread ‘Railpass for Munich-Switzerland-Milan-Rome’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.