Railway passes for Tirano to Zurich journey

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2017 at 16:28:32 #810626

Hi, we are a family of 4 with two children under 4 years old travelling from tirano to zurich.

we are interested in taking the bernina express on 5th feb from tirano to davos platz, and subsequent journey through trains/boats/buses from davos platz to stafa, stafa to zurich and zurich to zurich airport, all within 6 days with the 6th day only needed for travel to e airport. We might need to take public transport within the earlier 5 days to different attractions around the locations.

our questions thus would be which railway pass would be best for 2nd class travel and include passes for e bernina express ie panoramic cabins, which websites to book this (are we supposed to get e tickets sent to our home via normal mail? Possible issue as we will be travelling in 2 weeks) and any recommended routes should we take especially to get to any attractions that are a must see? Also how much would it cost for us for travel?

Is there any passes that would be worth us getting to include in additional 2 days of travel within milan?

Apologies for questions which might seem basic. We have zero knowledge of how e railway works in europe as it’s our first trip and wondering if there are also any tips or things to note on our travels here especially with two little ones during winter.

thanks for any advice you could share with us!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    21 January 2017 at 16:56:29 #858266

Hi Wiqqed, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Don’t worry about asking “basic” questions, I understand it’s all new to you. Let’s see if I can provide some clarification. First of all, train traveling in Switzerland is smooth and easy and a great way of traveling. You can read lots of details here. The timetable is a great aid in planning any trip, both the longer town-t0-town-transfers as well as shorter day trips to any attraction or destination. Please read the tips and tricks on our timetable page to learn how to use it.

Now, as for your itinerary:

• please find information and booking links for the Bernina Express here and here. You only have to book seat reservations. Tickets will not be necessary if you pick a rail pass that provides free traveling. If you have a rail pass that does require you to buy (discounted) tickets, you can do so online beforehand using the links at the page aboe, or you can buy them at the railway station before boarding;
    • I suggest you visit the Davos Tourism website for tips about the region;
    • Stäfa (I assume that’s what you mean?) is along Lake Zurich. Suggested day trips for Zurich and its surroundings are here. Apart from that I’d like to mention Rapperswil, which is a scenic little town and worth a visit. So is Zug (if you don’t mind a 1h30 journey).

I don’t think a Eurail Select Pass for Italy and Switzerland is worth it if you only need local traveling in Milan and the trip to Switzerland. You’d better look for a local option for Milan plus regular tickets Milan-Tirano. For the Swiss leg of your trip, a Swiss Half Fare Card is probably your best bet. It allows you to buy 50% discounted ticket for all trips. If you want to calculate which option suits your itinerary best, please find a detailed guide here.

Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2017 at 19:40:40 #858267

Thanks for ur help! We have booked the half fare passes.

Slightly confused while trying to book the bernina express tickets.

Are either of the bookings indicated by my screenshot correct? Wondering about it Cuz it seems that there are many different stops or transfers that need to be made? Is this due to us travelling on sunday and direct train (954) is not available? How would we know that it’s e right train ie bernina panoramic not local train, in e right direction towards what we want ie davos platz. And lastly e cost of e fare is about right as seen in e screenshot?

Also, may I confirm that since we will be gg off from our country on 3 feb ie less than 14 days, we will need the tickets to be delivered to one of our places we ade staying in Europe prior to bernina express journey. Or is there some way we can have express delivery?

once again many thanks for ur help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 January 2017 at 9:32:02 #858268

Hi Wiqqed,

Unfortunately, your screen shots did not attach so I can’t comment on them.

Which Sunday are you wanting to travel on the Bernina Express? When using the timetable the train you want to select is labelled ‘BEX’. On Sunday February 5 for example it leaves Tirano at 14:26 from Tirano to Chur. You will need to take a regional train from Chur to Davos.

Most retailers will send you the travel pass via email for printing at home. Take a look at these options here. Passes can also be purchase at rail stations in Switzerland, it will take more time upon arrival though so we always recommend buying online so you can just jump on the first train available once you land in Switzerland.

I hope this helps, let us know if you have further concerns!
    Lucas

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 January 2017 at 16:01:46 #858269

Good advice from Lucas! Just wanted to add you can either stay seated to Chur as he mentioned, or get off the Bernina Express in Filisur and change for Davos there. Changing in Filisur is quicker and the leg to Davos is very nice, but of course you would miss out on the final stretch of the “official” Bernina Express route, including the famous Landwasser viaduct. There’s another nice viaduct on the other route though!

• The thread ‘Railway passes for Tirano to Zurich journey’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.