Rain forecast in Jungfrau region next week

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 5:08:36 #865536

Hi Bufflin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I don’t think the weather reports are super accurate a week out (especially for mountain weather). I would wait as long as you can before changing plans – a day or so before if you can.

When you are closer to your date you will be able to see hourly forecasts as well.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2017 at 14:11:05 #865537

I am trying to figure out the same thing. I understand changeable mountain weather, but there is also good old fashion storm fronts. I know in California when I go to the mountains that storms can pop up from time to time that are hard to predict, but I also understand that when I see a big storm headed from the Pacific — it is pretty much guaranteed. For Switzerland I “assume” that if I see a storm front trucking across central France – it will make it to Switzerland. But that is just a guess on my part.

Arno
    15482 posts
    23 June 2017 at 9:05:16 #865538

Hello!

Forecasts for more than 2-3 days ahead of time are kind of tricky. But elbarcosr1 is right that a big storm front provides some kind of certainty: sooner or later the weather will get worse. How bad it will be can be hard to predict. In this case it seems like they expect clouds and rain all over central Europe from next Tuesday. So yes, you can postpone your trip but unfortunately there’s no guarantee how the weather will be a week later.

Another typical pattern is that clouds and rain moving in from the West are blocked by the Alps causing the North to get rain and the South (Valais, Ticino, Engadine) to be sunny or at least dry. But right now they predict rain all over Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2017 at 10:59:58 #865539

Yeah – I am in the same boat..

In Murren – arrive June 28 , leave July 4. trying to assess just how bad the weather will be, as we have included 2 nights of hut to hut hikes, with overnights. pondering what if those days are terrible.

it is Murren-rotstockhuette-Obersteinberg-Murren. how bad can it be? and how can I prepare? and what is it so bad that we need to not head out? and if that happens, what is the possibility of some accommodation somewhere?

just trying to get my head in the right place. any advice?

sigh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2017 at 13:27:16 #865540

Yep. We have hut to hut on 29 and 30. I can deal with sporadic rain, but constant downpour and/or lightning is different…. Guess better get plan b in order….

Arno
    15482 posts
    24 June 2017 at 8:24:35 #865541

Yes, it’s a gamble with hiking. The worst is thunder storms. That’s dangerous so you simply cannot hike. Light rain is doable but beware of slippery trails. If the clouds are low you’ll be in the fog. Apart from missing the views it will also be hard to find your way on some of the trails.

Indeed a plan B would be useful.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2017 at 14:38:35 #865542

Yep. I just changed our plans. The area we were going to hike is now forecasting temperature in the high 30’s and low 40’s with 100% chance of rain (and I suspect some snow) for Thursday and Friday. The forecast might be wrong, but I’m betting not wrong enough to make it worth taking the chance. Heading to lower elevation for the temperatures alone. Oh well, we still have July 1-4 up in the mountains; hope things improve. Best of luck to all.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 5:28:29 #865543

Hi, we should arrived in Switzerland for the first time for a two week stay and also trying to plan the weather. I think I like this source better for forecasting (compare this to the other weather sources). This is the first time trying this reference so I cannot really confirm if it is better.

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/e n/europe/switzerland/w eather-grindelwald/details/N-3514458/#2017-06-28

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2017 at 13:49:29 #865544

Norcal, I have also been using this one:

https://www.meteoblue. com

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 0:56:46 #865545

We are booked to stay in Murren three nights: 6/28-7/1. If the weather is bad what are some activities we can do (a family of 4 with 2 teens)? Any suggestions appreciated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2017 at 3:23:20 #865546

>> We are booked to stay in Murren three nights: 6/28-7/1. If the weather is bad what are some activities we can do (a family of 4 with 2 teens)?

Bad weather alternatives for people staying in the Jungfrau Region, that have been mentioned in various places in this forum, include:

— Boat trips on Lake Brienz and Lake Thun

— Ballenberg Museum

— Aare Gorge

— Grindelwald Glacier Gorge

— Trümmelbach Falls

— St Beatus Caves

— City visits to Thun, Bern, Luzern

Some of them involve a bit of travel, but if you have a Swiss Travel Pass, your travel will be covered.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Rain forecast in Jungfrau region next week’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.