Zermatt hiking trails + Saver Day Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 20:16:11 #815941

Hello all,

I will be travelling to Switzerland with a friend for one week later in May. We have decided most of our route already – we are arriving in Zurich where we will stay a couple nights, then we are going to Geneva where we will stay a few days and visit another friend, and finally we will go to Basel for one day (our departing flight leaves from Basel).

Since we are not travelling to many places (we only need train tickets from Zurich to Geneva and from Geneva to Basel), we have decided not to purchase a multi-day rail pass. However, I would like to add in a day of hiking along mountains, perhaps in Zermatt or Lucerne. Individual tickets to these cities are expensive, so I am considering the Saver Day Pass. The plan would be instead of going from Zurich to Geneva right away, we might do Zurich to Zermatt early in the morning, spend the day hiking, and head to Geneva in the evening.

I know I can use the saver day pass to get from Zurich to Zermatt and then from Zermatt to Geneva, so my question is, once we get to Zermatt, how would we get to the hiking trails? Is there a bus? Are they walking distance? Any insight or alternative suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 23:06:07 #885083

Hi benidoc and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We have a list of Zermatt activities and hiking trails on our web page here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/zermatt/activiti es

Most hiking trails are accessed up in the mountain(s) so you’ll need to take a cable car or train first. The hiking trails on the link above are described in detail with information on how to get there as well.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    14 May 2018 at 15:40:31 #885084

Hi Benidoc

You did not mention how long or how difficult of a hike you were interested in. In May the higher altitude trails may be impassable due to snow or mud. If so you may consider the valley hike from Zermatt to Zmutt where you can have a nice lunch then return to Zermatt by cable car or continue onward to Riffelalp and take the train down to Zermatt. The hike faces the Matterhorn and you get good views of the Matterhorn all the way to Zmutt. Zermatt to Zmutt is about1:30hrs. Zmutt to Riffelalp is about 1:30-2:00 hrs. The hike from Riffelalp to Riffelsee May also be open. Mark

• The thread ‘Zermatt hiking trails + Saver Day Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.