Reasonable budget for two for a Swiss holiday

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2020 at 16:38:57 #825046

We have already prepaid accommodation, half price Swiss Rail pass, and car hire for our two week trip in September. Does anybody have suggestions about a reasonable average daily budget please? Breakfasts are prepaid too. We will probably pre-pack lunches for our rucksacks. We will be based in the Sion area and driving to various places as well as trains, ferries and cable cars where necessary. Will CHF300 per day be reasonable or is it low? Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2020 at 18:07:31 #929049

Hi Cwjsykes and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Do you mean the 300 CHF/day per person or for 2 people? For one it is more than enough in my opinion, for 2 it can be ok too.

It depends on you, your itinerary and also what do you call reasonable. For example for some people it is 50 CHF for two for a dinner in a fast food restaurant, for others it is around 100 CHF in a restaurant (again for two and without drinks) or even more if they prefer fine dining restaurants. You can have a cheese fondue for 20-25 CHF per adult. A glass of wine is between 6-10 CHF.

A spa entrance ticket is around 25-40 CHF, depending where you go. Museum tickets are usually from 10 to 30 CHF, but there are even more expensive ones. (All prices per person.)

If you have a Swiss Half Fare Card, that is great. You can calculate your travel cost (including the cable cars, trains, buses, boats, etc.) using this spreadsheet: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

You might find this thread useful: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/how-to-do-a-10-days-budget-trip-of-switzerland

Further information:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2020 at 19:22:06 #929050

Thanks so much. That’s really helpful. I was asking about CHF300 total for two per day. We are actually in self catering accommodation so most (but not all) dinners will be “at home”. I will use the spreadsheet thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2020 at 19:44:54 #929051

You’re welcome.

If you can cook in the apartment then you can spare even some restaurant costs.

Let us know if you have further questions,

Ildiko

CabinJon
    Participant
    280 posts
    30 January 2020 at 20:01:10 #929052

COOP markets are your friend. We had one 1/2 block away from our last hotel, and went there frequently. Although it was a small store, we found everything we needed for simple meals, lunches, breads, snacks, drinks, etc. Migros is another grocery chain we saw frequently.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 January 2020 at 20:19:16 #929053

Thank you! That’s helpful. We are in Haute-Nendaz and both of those Supermarkets are very close to the apartment.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2020 at 3:59:42 #929054

Self catering accomodation with a car available is probably the most economical way to holiday in Switzerland. I have done this nearly every year for the past 15 years (although when we visit by plane and train we still aim to do a big-ish shop at a low altitude Migros and carry it by train.)

My first aim in Switzerland is always to find a Migros, as I have been shopping in Migros since before I can remember (59 years ago) and by the way their choc ices are pretty much the same style now as they were when I was a child!

Funnily enough though my wife prefers Coop!

With a car available I would do a ‘big shop’ early in your stay in a city Migros for biggest choice and possibly slightly cheaper prices than in the resort supermarkets, then buy supplementary stuff in the resort shops when needed. There is a big Migros (and Coop) at the Forum des Alpes centre in Conthey and a MMM size Migros next to Sion station

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2020 at 4:03:02 #929055

The cheapest way to lunch in Switzerland is to buy a few rolls and a product ‘fairly’ unique to Switzerland – Paté in a tube (called Leberpains). Simply carrying the two products means you don’t even have to prepare them! But of course in a chalet you can make something a bit more prepared in the kitchen!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2020 at 5:27:37 #929047

That’s such helpful and useful advice. Thank you! We are actually driving up from the Malpensa airport in Milan on the first morning and we’ll have plenty of time to stop at the large Migros you mention.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2020 at 5:29:24 #929048

Thank you once again. My shopping list has gained a new product!

Anna
    6274 posts
    1 February 2020 at 8:45:16 #929056

Hi Chris,

In my opinion, CHF300 per day for 2 is a fairly good budget.

Have a look at this for tips on how to save on your Swiss holidays 🙂

http://www.myswissalps.com/plantrip/doityourself/savemoney

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2020 at 11:07:31 #929057

Thank you so much for your help Anna – and for the amazing site and service you provide!

• The thread ‘Reasonable budget for two for a Swiss holiday’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.