Receiving VAT or tax refund for purchases

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2018 at 5:40:23 #818568

I have spent a week in Switzerland and purchased several items. Where can I go to get a refund on VAT or tax? Train station SSB? I will not be leaving Switzerland from the airport, I will be leaving via Viking Cruise to Amsterdam.

Do i need to do this before I leave the country? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 October 2018 at 5:51:31 #897152

Hi Bambamrice,

VAT refund is possible for items worth CHF 300 or more. The link “Refund of Swiss VAT” on http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites provides details and a link to a list of locations. I believe there’s a customs office at the Basel SBB train station and perhaps also near the cruise departure location.

As far as I know you can only do this within Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2018 at 6:12:56 #897153

Thanks so much for this information! I will look into it now. Have a pleasant day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2018 at 6:24:12 #897154

I just looked on the website as you suggested and it says 300 per purchase. Does that mean if I spent around 260 at one shop and 280 at another shop, it doesn’t qualify? I can’t add them together?

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 October 2018 at 7:02:22 #897155

Hi Bambamrice,

The minimum purchase value per sales transaction is CHF 300 (including VAT). I’ve never used the VAT return myself because I don’t think I’ve ever purchased items that qualify. It only applies to goods, not food or services like travel

• The thread ‘Receiving VAT or tax refund for purchases’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.