Recent weather in Grindelwald area

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2017 at 15:30:55 #813254

The weather in the Grindelwald area has not looked great over the last week or so and continues to not look good. I have looked at some webcams and today seems to be one of the first days that the mountains are clear of clouds and fog. We are not arriving until Monday September 25, but we have already made back up plans to go to southern Italy. I know completely different trip. I am still hopeful that the weather will work out, as I would rather do Switzerland but do not want to just sit in an apartment for four days. Unfortunately, my family does not enjoy museums and stuff like that which normally would occupy rainy days.

Can someone give me an update of how the weather has been over the last 7 days or so, since the websites have said clouds and rain and I want to make sure how accurate that has been.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2017 at 18:00:12 #869784

I’m not based on Grindelwald so I can’t give you more information that what is on the weather forecast sites. Do note that the weather in the mountains change quickly and can do so dramatically at that altitude so don’t assume the weather will be poor in 2 weeks if the weather is poor now! 🙂

Lucas

macca
    Participant
    16 posts
    15 September 2017 at 0:21:10 #869785

Hi nmhamel -we have been in Grindelwald since Wednesday and have found the forecasts on srf.ch/meteo to be the most accurate. I was a bit worried as the prospects didn’t look good and i was concerned we’d just be stuck inside but most days its actually been better than forecast – occasional light showers rather than constant rain. It’s true the weather the last 2 days has been mixed but as Lucas points out – it changes by the hour. So you have to be flexible and if the weather is ok – just go for it! Prioritise whatever needs clear skies (ie mountain tops) as you might not get another morning or afternoon that’s as good – even if 2 days ahead is forecast as good (or bad) that can change. And even fairly late in the day you can still get up to Jungfrau or Schilthorn. We went up to Kleine Scheidegg from Grindelwald at 5pm on Wednesday when it suddenly cleared (as forecast) . We only had an hour or so before the last train back but it was beautiful, hardly anyone there and magnificent views up to the Eiger Monch and Jungfrau (without crowds with selfie sticks…) The breathtaking train journey is part of the experience.

Today’s forecast was cloudy with really heavy rain so we used the pool at the sports centre (free with our tourist card) and when it cleared late afternoon again -we headed to Murren as the trains and gondolas run late. It is chilly in the evenings now.

There are lots of things to do locally that don’t need perfect weather -all the activities at Grindelwald First, the Trummelbach Falls in Lauterbrunnen etc Grindelwald itself has a good sports centre and the “indoor” cavern.

It’s your holiday so only you can decide what’s best. It’s not a cheap option and if Jungfrau on a clear day is absolutely essential then it’s a risk.The day we visited Pilatus was mainly cloudy but it was still amazing and we got moments of sun. In fact most days we’ve had a bit of everything – rain, sun,cloud, but still managed to do what we’ve wanted – including nothing some afternoons cos that’s what family holidays are for!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2017 at 13:19:41 #869786

Thank you Macca

• The thread ‘Recent weather in Grindelwald area’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.