Recommendation for a 3-day hiking trip early May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 8:53:21 #815162

Hi All,

I was planning to visit the Alps from 10-13May, and wanted advice on stages of alpine routes. I wanted to select three stages of either Alpine Panaroma trail or the viaJacobi trail. I’ve hiked in the Himalayas before, and thus altitude isn’t a huge concern, though I’ll need to acclimatize accordingly. Also, I will be doing the Stage 11/12/13 of viaAlpine trail in July/August for sure – Bucketlist Item: See the north face of Eiger 🙂 Please give me some sort of advice on what to visit that could be quintessentially a Swiss trip (if there is something like that).

Currently Considering:

1. Stage 9/10/13 of the viaJacob trail – see Breinzers, Thunersee and Schwarzenburg

2. Stage 7/8/9 of the Alpine Panorama trail – Amden to Unterageri

Happy to consider other suggestion as well beyond these trails. Preferably the starting point is at short distance from a major train station. If I sound confused, that’s coz I am confused. Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 7:26:16 #881111

Hi Hermanshudas and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m not a hiking expert unfortunately and can’t give you any personal details about the hikes but I can get you some links to some useful Swiss websites that you may or may not have seen before.

The Schweizmobil site is a fantastic resource for specific trail details that should give you a wealth of information to help you plan the trips.

We don’t get a lot of people on here looking for the extended 3-5-7+ day hikes but we do have other threads on this subject. Be sure to use the search box on the top right to look for other posts and answers for people looking for similar information. 🙂

Are you also looking for towns to visit or just hiking details?

Arno
    15484 posts
    8 April 2018 at 11:46:05 #881112

Hello Hemanshudas,

You’ve selected the right sections for the season (no snow issues). You’ll be close to Zurich, Luzern and in the Bernese Oberland. You can find other things to do and see in those areas here:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 9:01:19 #881113

Thanks. I had initially planned through the schweizmobil.ch itself. Its a gem of a website to plan a trip.

Priority One is picturesque trail paths, so looking for hiking details essentially. Right now, my overnight stay plan includes Interlaken and Spiez. Are these overtly touristy? Need to plan out my third day.

What can I visit in Bernese Oberlands. Based on my reading, I understood most places are closed till mid-June because of the snow. Do the trains and cable cars to Jungfraujoch operate in mid-May?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Debra
    Participant
    156 posts
    10 April 2018 at 14:25:20 #881115

I like to refer to a website momstotszurich.com even though she writes from a perspective of family hiking, her ideas and photos are helpful right down to how to get there and distance from Zurich. She also has a hiking calendar with what hikes can be done in each month; although still might be too easy for your abilities. I find it a good reference.

• The thread ‘Recommendation for a 3-day hiking trip early May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.