Most scenic route Como to Interlaken in May/June?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2016 at 2:51:54 #808505

Hello. My wife and I will (both 60) be in visiting Europe from Australia for the first time this May and June. We’ve negotiated our travel through Italy as far as Lake Como but would love some advice on the best (scenic) route from Como to Interlaken. We’ll be travelling early June. If there have been many questions such as mine a link to that thread may simplify things and be much appreciated. I’m also thinking a Swiss Pass (3 or 4 days) may be wise as we’ll be doing the Jungfrau region as well before heading onto France. Thank you in anticipation. Matt

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2016 at 10:55:26 #848814

hi ,

i would suggest a train/bus from como to lugano, and from there lugano – interlaken on the gotthard line.

i think this seems to be the best option in my opinion…

regards

pooja

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2016 at 12:04:30 #848815

Hi pooja. Thank you for that. It’s something I’d never have known about let alone considered. I’ll look further into that one! Matt

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2016 at 12:08:13 #848816

Hi sachdeveuro,

My apologies for earlier mistake re your name. Sometimes ignorance is bliss and sometimes it is just ignorance. I am guilty as charged but genuinely appreciate your reply either way. Matt

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 February 2016 at 12:48:19 #848817

Pooja made a great suggestion. You can either do it all by train or train and boat combined. Another option is to take a train to Locarno and the Centovalli train to Domodossola, Italy. Then change to Brig. Then take the local train via Kandersteg to Spiez and finally change to Interlaken.

Both options are included in the Swiss Travel Pass, except for the short leg from Como to Chiasso (Swiss border). Some trains on the Centovalli line require a small surcharge.

You can print the Swiss Travel Pass at home by browsing to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en and choosing “Online Ticket” when asked for delivery options. Further purchase options are listed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2016 at 21:10:22 #848818

Thank you Annika for your tips. I’ll look further into your suggestions and see what I can find following your links. I’m lucky to have found your website Annika. It is a great help for us on our travels. Matt

• The thread ‘Most scenic route Como to Interlaken in May/June?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.