Travel & health insurance for Swiss trip from USA

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2019 at 15:24:30 #823948

Folks,

Since our (2 adults & 2 kids 4 and 9) anticipated dates of travel (US –>UK –> ZUR –> Paris –> UK –> US) are 6 months ahead, I am trying to find a travel + health insurance for 2 reasons:

– If for any reason we have to cancel our trip, lets say few days or few weeks before the travel.

– Health coverage in case if any family member gets sick during our travel (we will be travelling to UK, France and Switzerland).

Can someone please recommend any insurance plan/company that they have used for these types of situation and were satisfied with their customer service and level of coverage?

Air tickets alone are going to cost us around US$5000 and around $2000 in train passes/tickets in Switzerland so I just want to have a piece of mind that if we were to cancel the trip we would at least be able to get reimbursement (either full or partial) of the trip cost.

Thanks,

Pure

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2019 at 18:00:22 #922526

Hello Pure,

Welcome to MySwissAlps and thanks for the question!

I would suggest AIG Travel, as they are one of the leading travel insurance companies that provide plans for Americans. It is good to talk to a representative directly so you may ask about additional coverage and discuss if there are any pre-existing conditions.

Please look at this link from the Swiss Federal Railways, also known as SBB. There is a detailed thread discussing ticket refunds.

sbbcffffs-community.sbb.ch/t5/Se rvice/Refunds-everything-you-need-to-know/ba-p/13222

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2019 at 20:23:48 #922527

I’ve used both AIG and Allianz. Both great companies with great coverages and great customer service.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 September 2019 at 6:21:09 #922528

Hello Pure,

See another input of a US traveller in below thread:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/best-travel-insurance-for-visa-from-usa

Also find emergency numbers, etc. in below link:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites

Best,
    Steph

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    23 September 2019 at 11:51:19 #922529

Hi Pure

We used Trip Mate on a hiking trip to Switzerland and Italian Dolomites this past June and after a fall in Dolomites I spent 2 days in an Italian hospital. Trip Mate has been flawless in handling my claim for medical bills and loss of prearranged hotel, tours, and meals. They have been very easy to deal with.

Mark

Rlearley54
    Participant
    6 posts
    23 September 2019 at 19:55:33 #922530

We went with Allianz. They were the best bang for the buck and covered everything with me over the phone.

Virgingorda
    Participant
    58 posts
    24 September 2019 at 4:42:51 #922531

I don’t have info about travel insurance, but want to share that cost and quality of health-care in Switzerland are quite good from an experience we had.

My husband wasn’t feeling well toward the end of the trip, so he went to a clinic in Bern and right away got to see a doctor without wait. The doctor was very attentive and thorough, spending a lot of time asking questions. And he ordered several lab works and eliminated unnecessary ones like strep throat saying he didn’t see any evidence. The lab results came back that same morning while he waited in the clinic. Diagnosis was nothing, probably a viral infection and had to ride it out. He actually felt better after that. 😁

They put a hold on the credit card for $500 since they didn’t know what the lab works would finally cost.

Several weeks later only $300 was charged for the entire visit , which was quite reasonable.

Luckily our health insurance fully reimbursed that amount, so it cost us nothing at the end.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2019 at 13:23:22 #922532

Thanks all .. appreciate your feedback!

• The thread ‘Travel & health insurance for Swiss trip from USA’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.