Refund of Swiss Travel Pass due to coronavirus

• Dipu
    Participant
    6 posts
    16 April 2020 at 19:32:31 #825508

Hello,

I have booked Swiss Travel pass for 2 adults for 4 days starting from 27th April-30th April and for 15 days from 1st May -15 th May through Happy Rail. Due to COVID 19, our trip is cancelled and when I contacted Happy Rail they informed that travel passes upto 26th April can be refunded without any cancellation charges and that I should try cancelling at a closer date without incurring any cancellation charges.

Would like to know, what is SBB policy right now for refund of Swiss Travel passes. Am not able to find details on their website. Would like to know how can I get full refund without incurring any cancellation charges.

Please help.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 April 2020 at 5:48:33 #932146

Hi Dipu,

You’ll find relevant links and information at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland, particular under point 4.

The tourist webshop of SBB, Switzerland Travel Centre, just announced yesterday that they allow all passes for May to be cancelled and refunded. A CHF 30 processing fee per pass applies. I expect more news about the HappyRail policy soon, and will update the above thread.

In general, cancelling closer to the date is indeed best, as the travel situation will be certain then, and there’s a better chance of policies being in place.

Hope to see you back here when you can travel again!

Dipu
    Participant
    6 posts
    20 April 2020 at 15:52:56 #932147

Thanks Arno for your reply !

Have applied to Happy Rail for refund..

Hope will be able to travel to Switzerland sometime in near future.

Annika
    7121 posts
    21 April 2020 at 6:06:07 #932148

Hi Dipu. Yes, let’s hope for that!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2020 at 12:46:35 #932149

I received a full refund from SwissRail in March for travel in May BUT to date HappyRail ( what a misnomer) has refused to reimburse me for 5 tickets for the Gotthard Express. I will rebook my trip to Switzerland when it’s safe but am NEVER again going to book with HappyRail.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2020 at 14:24:11 #932150

Hi Vickel,

You might missed it but HappyRail will fully refund passes, tickets and reservations up to 26 April 2020. This does not apply to seat reservations and handling costs. See latest information at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland in the first post.

When are you traveling?

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2020 at 14:38:29 #932151

IIdiko thanks for your quick reply. I had booked travel for 5 people for late May. HR suggested waiting till May 1 to ask them again, which I will do. But they’ve also said that they can’t refund me because we had seat reservations. I don’t understand the “logic” of this policy. What’s the difference if we had reservations or not? Hotels and airlines have reservations and still accept cancellations. HR can cancel our specific seat reservations and re-sell them. Doesn’t make sense. Very disappointing.

Dipu
    Participant
    6 posts
    23 April 2020 at 14:46:49 #932152

Hi IIdiko,

Tourists are not being granted Schengen visas till 15th June . Airlines are not operating. When we are not able to come till 15th June due to regulations, railways should grant refund at least till 15th June to international tourists.

I had booked Swiss Travel pass for 27th April through Happy Rail and they are deducting 75 Euro as handling/cancellation charges.

I have booked 4 seat reservation for Bernina Express for 13th May, but Happy Rail is not granting any refunds and have asked to contact in first week of May to check if there is any change in regulations, which I will.

Lot of time and efforts have gone in planning this trip and not been able to visit Switzerland is already saddening and further having to pay cancellation charges for no mistake of ours is very disappointing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2020 at 14:58:47 #932153

Very disappointing indeed. And BTW, SBB gave me a full refund when I cancelled in March. Why isn’t Happy Rail following the same policy? SBB should reconsider their partnership with HR.

Anna
    6382 posts
    24 April 2020 at 6:25:16 #932154

Hi Vickel,

I’m sorry you had to cancel your travel plans. The pandemic has indeed caused a lot of inconveniences and we’re hoping things will get better soon. Most countries have implemented travel restrictions and while some countries are easing their lockdown measures, these are happening gradually and in stages. I think Happy Rail is taking a wait and see approach so I would highly recommend you to contact them again in May to claim your refund.

As Arno pointed out in an earlier post, generally cancelling closer to the date is best, as the travel situation will be certain then, and there’s a better chance of policies being in place.

Stay safe and regards,

Anna

Annika
    7121 posts
    24 April 2020 at 11:35:43 #932155

Hi Vickel and Dipu! I understand your disappointment. In general, Swiss seat reservations have never been refundable, as opposed to tickets and rail passes. This has always been the case. Luckily most resellers have now adjusted their refund policies due to the coronavirus.

All resellers continuously have to monitor developments and adapt the options they offer. As for HappyRail: they will soon announce their cancellation policy for after April 26, and this will depend on decisions made by the SBB. So I suggest you both wait until you find out what their new approach will be. Generally, waiting for a while increases the chances of smooth cancellations, as the situation and the (lack of) options for foreign travelers will be more clear closer to any travel date. This also goes for accommodation, flights and other bookings. Again, details vary and depend on the individual organizations.

We’ll update this thread on HappyRail’s policy as soon as we have new information: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2020 at 12:03:38 #932156

Thanks Annika. Still disappointed but I will wait to see whether the policy changes on May 1.

• The thread ‘Refund of Swiss Travel Pass due to coronavirus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.