Checking Swiss train time tables on and offline

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2018 at 14:06:51 #813961

Hi Swiss team

I have question about trains when we change connection display information comes in English because I have less experience about trains

I will get Traveller WiFi that looks better than Simcard I have question it works on all train stations even they are far from big cities in case wifi don’t work is there any other train timetables available on papers

I am reaching here on Sunday morning and I booked hotel in Grindelwald for 3 nights on Sunday is train service like normal week days next 2 nights will be in zermat and last night will be in Lucerne my return flight is 3;30pm so it’s easier for me to travel to zürich from Lucerne looks like I am missing lugano I heard it’s also beautiful I already booked hotels with free cancellation any suggestions abt lugano I have 6 nights

Thanks Aman

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 January 2018 at 20:06:35 #873734

Hello Aman and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you have Travellers WiFi I guess you will have SBB mobile app. It will tell you train times and Platform numbers. Don’t worry. Everything is well sign-posted and clear. WiFi coverage will be fine.

Trains may be slightly less frequent on Sunday but not enough to worry you. Check the timetable.

You don’t have time for Lugano. Come back in summer when it is at it’s best. Winter is for the Alps. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2018 at 21:21:10 #873735

Hi

I am extremely sorry I booked In August 19 Sunday I didn’t write above I am little bit proactive that’s why booked earlier.i heard sometimes in summer very difficult to find good hotels and Airfare I am coming here for sightseeing with my wife so if I can use zvv fahrplan that looks better than Sbb app

Thanks again

Aman

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 January 2018 at 21:38:39 #873736

Ah, I thought you meant you were travelling this Sunday.

Lugano is very nice and you can get a fast train (under 3 hours via 57km Gotthard Base Tunnel) from there to Zurich on your last day. But, Lugano is a long train ride from Zermatt. You’ll have to weigh up if it is worth it for effectively 1 day in Lugano.

The Cenotvalli Express via Domodossola and Locarno is lovely.

The ZVV web timetable is certainly prettier, with it’s map visualisation and all, than the SBB web timetable but they don’t seem to have an app. The SBB app is very convenient on a smartphone and you can buy and store tickets.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 January 2018 at 23:58:49 #873737

Hi Aman.

Your writing is hard to follow because you do not use punctuation. Please add a few periods ( full stops, if British) to help us out.

<“zvv fahrplan that looks better than Sbb app “>>

The best way to plan is to use the full timetable on something with a large screen:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

The SBB App is good, but it is more suited for checking out times when you already have your routings. It does other jobs as well, but you can only put so much information on that small screen. ;-(

The “zvv fahrplan” ( ZVV Fahrplan) is focused more on Zürich ( Zürich VerkehrsVerein) but, whatever works. 😉

<<“is there any other train timetables available on papers”>>

The full timetable for the entire Swiss train, bus and boat system was last published as a book for 2017.

Local stations often have printed timetable leaflets for the vicinity. They are in racks at the station ticket office..or have been throughout 2017, anyway.

Each station has at least one large printed timetable on the wall. Many, in large stations.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 January 2018 at 0:12:04 #873738

Hi Slowpoke,

I’ve never looked at the ZVV timetable before but it covers all of Switzerland and the map visualisation is neat online.fahrplan.zvv.ch /bin/query.exe/en.html.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 January 2018 at 1:21:23 #873739

Hi Rockoyster-

I took a look and and had trouble making it find Affoltern i. E.

Still looking.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 January 2018 at 1:28:24 #873740

Just as well not many people visiting Pension Glauser use the ZVV timetable then. 😇

I won’t be swapping from the SBB Legacy Timetable anytime soon.

• The thread ‘Checking Swiss train time tables on and offline’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.