RegioExpress Lötschberger vs base tunnel route

• Bebe
    Participant
    43 posts
    8 August 2022 at 16:09:32 #828005

Hello again!

1960 man may have answered this in a previous thread. I have read all the historical data descriptions of the RE Lotschberger train & the faster base tunnel train but am still confused as to which train from Interlaken-Spiez to Brig we should board to make sure we are going through the base tunnel and not the mountainous route. Our final destination is Locarno. I have not yet mastered interpreting the advanced timetable, so am wondering if there are any particular “via towns” I am supposed to enter, for example, Kandersteg or Goppenstein?

Much appreciation for any elaboration as to how to differentiate the trains.

Bebe

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    8 August 2022 at 17:47:50 #945336

Hi Bebe,

The SBB timetable usually displays the fastest route. In most cases the fastest route from Interlaken to Brig is via the base tunnel. If you prefer to take the longer (and scenic) route, which is over the mountain rather than through the tunnel, you should indicate Kandersteg as your via station. You’ll be travelling on this route on the Regio Express Lotschberger , which is a regional BLS train.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2022 at 21:09:15 #945337

Yes, I have answered this question before!

But to make it easy, trains through the base tunnel are Inter city route IC8, normally departing every hour at xx.36. From Spiez as long as you get on an SBB train with white and black coaches it will be going through the base tunnel direct to Visp.

Don’t get on a green train (BLS railway livery)

As Anna says, unless you specify a via, the fast route via the best tunnel will always been the one shown if you request a journey Spiez – Brig.

However, if you do go via the base tunnel the train usually terminates at Brig so you have to change trains to get a train to Domodossola.

Bebe
    Participant
    43 posts
    8 August 2022 at 23:45:36 #945338

Thanks for the clarifications,

Anna and 1960man. The term “Lotschberg” used with both train lines had me stumped. Now I know which color train to board at Spiez.

Bebe

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    Arno
    15483 posts
    9 August 2022 at 7:29:04 #945340

Hi Bebe,

Yes, that can be confusing. There’s the longer “Lötschberg base tunnel” between Spiez and Brig. And there’s the mountain route with the shorter “Lötschberg tunnel” between Kandersteg and Goppenstein. The paragraph “RegioExpress Lötschberger trains versus quick connections” at http://www.myswissalps.com/lotschberger may clarify things.

Bebe
    Participant
    43 posts
    10 August 2022 at 14:48:45 #945341

Thanks, Arno & 1960man, for the additional info. I had not seen that map showing the two routes. Will be an interesting journey with either choice.

Best regards,

Bebe

• The thread ‘RegioExpress Lötschberger vs base tunnel route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.