Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland for trip in October

• Irong93
    Participant
    3 posts
    15 July 2022 at 5:11:18 #827777

Hi,

We are planning to travel to Switzerland and Venice in October. We’ll be spending about 5-6 days in the Jungfrau region.

Need some help on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland:

1. Will be traveling from Venice to Grindelwald. Will this pass covers the train journey from Brig to Grindelwald ?

2. After Jungfrau, we’ll travel to Zermatt. Can you advise if this pass will cover any part of the train journey

from Grindelwald to Zermatt ?

3. Covers train from Grindelwald to Lauterbrunnen ?

4. Covers train from Grindelwald to Interlaken ?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    15 July 2022 at 9:19:05 #944331

Hi Irong93,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

1. Yes, you can use the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland from Brig to Grindelwald. However the pass is only valid on the BLS train (Regio Express Lotschberger), which travels from Brig to Bern via Kandersteg. It is not valid on the fast trains travelling through the tunnel.

2. Similarly, for travel to Zermatt, you can use the RPBO up to Brig. You need to get a connecting ticket from Brig to Zermatt.

3 and 4. Yes, the RPBO provides free travel between Grindelwald and Interlaken and Lauterbrunnen.

You can find the RPBO validity map here: http://www.myswissalps.com/regionalpassberneseoberland/validity

Also, based on your plans, I think it might be more sensible to plan your trip to Zermatt first then Grindelwald to minimise backtracking. So from Venice, travel to Zermatt via Brig, then head to Grindelwald.

I hope this somewhat provides you more options.

Regards,

Anna

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 July 2022 at 7:06:49 #944332

Hi Irong93,

In addition: you’ll need tickets from Venice to Switzerland (if you use the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, that’s indeed up to Brig). Information about these tickets is available here: https://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy.

If you’ll be staying in Zermatt as well, you may consider getting an additional Swiss Half Fare Card. It will get you a discounted rate for the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, and 50% discount for your trips to and from Zermatt:

Here’s how to calculate which passes/tickets are best for your plans: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

Irong93
    Participant
    3 posts
    17 July 2022 at 3:14:14 #944333

Thanks Anna & Arno for your prompt reply.

There are reasons why I going to Jungfrau first because the MÄNNLICHEN – KLEINE SCHEIDEGG hike and the Lake Brienz cruise will only be available until 23 Oct. I’m aware there will be some backtracking but think it’ll be worth it to be able to do the above two activities. Any possibility that the 23 Oct date be extended ? I’ll be in Switzerland from 19 to 30 Oct and planning to travel from Jungfrau to Zurich before flying home.

I took a look at the RPBO validity map so I can only travel using the BLS trains. To check the BLS train schedule, I would need to go to BLS website instead of SBB website right ? Also, do the BLS & SBB trains arrive and depart from the same train stations ? Or do I need to go to different stations in Grindelwald, Brig etc. When I take train from Venice to Brig, do I connect the BLS train at the same station ?

Yes, I’m thinking of getting additional Swiss Half Fare Card on top of RPBO. How far in advance do I need to buy the the passes given that we’re traveling after mid Oct ?

Thank you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    17 July 2022 at 9:13:48 #944334

Hi Irong93,

Due to operation dates it certainly makes sense to visit the Jungfrau region first. Usually operation periods for public transport won’t be extended. How long hiking trails are open, depends on the weather conditions. Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg could still be open, but in case of early snowfall it could be closed. The local tourism office will be able to tell you which trails are and are not accessible while youé there.

The Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland only covers the Lötschberg mountain route, that’s correct. This train is operated by BLS, but the operating company doesn’t really matter. You don’t need a different timetable and there are no different stations. The pages below clarify how it works:

You’ll find all trains, regardless of the operating company, in the general Swiss timetable. All you have to do to find the Lötschberg mountain route, is fill out a “via station” along this route when looking for connections from Brig to Grindelwald, for example Goppenstein or Kandersteg:

You can buy your passes anywhere between now and just few days in advance. They’re delivered quickly by e-mail:

• The thread ‘Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland for trip in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.